


Some representations of Portia
Note: Nerissa makes reference to her father's command that Portia choose the man to marry her based on a "lottery" (game of chance) that employs a "casket," three caskets in fact. Each suitor has to guess the right casket, and whoever guesses the right one, wins. We'll learn more later.
1. Portia is a typical Shakespearean comedy heroine, because she is witty: quote an example and explain.
2. Portia is a typical Shakespearean comedy heroine, because she good-humored, i.e., is habitually in a good mood toward everything, even the things she makes fun: quote an example and explain.
3. Portia is a typical Shakespearean comedy heroine, because she is energetic: an examplgive an example (doesn't have to be a quotation) and explain.
4. At line 95, Portia may give away for a moment the fact that she has seen or encountered Bassanio before and is interested: explain how so. You're allowed to consult the note. As you interpret the line, what is the importance of the dash in the middle of the line?
5. Why do you suppose Nerissa brings up Bassanio at line 92?
17 comments:
Hey Everyone,
So my answer is pertaining to question 1. I do agree that Portia adds the element of humor to this play so here is my example, "He doth nothing but frown, as who should say, 'And you will not have me,choose.' He hears merry tales and smiles not; I fear he will prove the weeping philosopher when he grows old, being so full of unmannerly sadness in his youth. I had rather be married to a death's head with a bone in his mouth than to either of these. God defend me from these two." I found this so funny for many reasons. One because she is talking about how depressed this one guy is, and how she would rather marry a skeleton than him. She is not in love with any of the men that her father has chosen for her, and she has no problem saying it. They both just sit around and do nothing, they frown and don't have a good time. I actually found this very comical. I am looking forward to seeing what all of you think of Portia, or any of the oter questions.
Portia is comedic when she is talking about her marriage on page 80. She says,"God made him, and therefore let him pass for a man...he is every man in no man...he will fence with his own shadow. If I should marry him, I should marry twenty husbands. If he would despise me, I would forgive him; for if he love me to madness, I shall never requite him." Portia is imitating this man (future husband) and rather than being angry about the situation she makes a joke out of it.
Hey Guys
Pertaining to #3 and a little to #1, I think Portia brings a lot of humor into this. But one sentence or quote, however you would like to address it, that I feel exploits her humor is when she says "Good sentences, and well pronounced". After Antonio goes on his rant, she says that. I find it pretty funny that after he would waste his breath and say something he thought was important and she would say something like that. This proves that a blunt statement such as good sentences and well pronounced can be powerful and funny all at once. However, I could be completely interpreting this incorrectly, but I found it humerous at first.
I think that Nerissa brings up Bassanio at line 92 because maybe she wants them to be together as couple, Portia and Bassanio. I am not really sure. It seems that way though. On line 95, Portia says "Yes, yes, it was Bassnio!-as I think so was he called." and on line 96, Nerissa says "True madam; he of all men that ever my foolish eyes looked upon was best deserving a fair lady." So maybe that is why Nerssia to bring up Bassanio, to hook her up with him...um. Yeah....
Hey Everyone,
I will be trying to answer question 5. I think that Nerissa brings up Bassonio in line 92, becuase like Shenese I think she wants the two of them to get together. I also think that Nerissa liked Bassonio herself, so therefore she wanted Portia to choose him. Another reason may be because she knew Portia would remember his name and would get her thinking about him again and get her interested. Portia was talking to Nerissa about putting a wine glass on the wrong box so that they will pick the wrong box and not be choosen, so maybe Nerissa was trying to hint to Portia, "like remember that guy, he's the one we should help." kind of idea. Portia had nothing to complain about Bassanio, which means she at least likes him if not loves him. This is why I think that Nerissa brought up Bassanio.
I can't wait to see what others have to say.
Portia is comedic about a lot in the play. She brings comedy and a sense of good-humor to the play on line 78 with, "Therefore, for fear of the worst, I pray thee set a deep glass of Rhenish wine on the contrary casket, for if the devil be within, and that temptation without, I know he will choose it. I will do anything, Nerissa, ere I will be married to a sponge."
Here Portia compares her suitor to a sponge (I'm not sure if this is literal or a term used in Shakespeares time). Whatever the case she approaches her future suitors with good-humor, even though shr clearly dislikes them. She is clever and also wants Nerissa to help her trick the suitor who drinks all the time in attracting him to the wine, thus distracting him from his goal. Portia goes about her ways with a clevernesd that comes across as comedic.
hey,
I think it is easy to see the humor of the story when interpreted in the time period the story was written. In modern times if a women were to foolishly chose a husband in the manner she does in the story no one would find humor to the situation, only stupidity. I think she views the marraige process of such unimportance that she finds a joke of it in order to mock the process.
My favorite sections that I feel really demonstrate Portia's personality are the last 2 lines of page 82. (I don't know if we were supposed to read that far, but I decided to because I figured it was just finishing off the scene, and we were probably allowed to read it :) )
Anyway, Portia says, "Whiles we shut the gate upon one wooer, another knocks at the door."
I loved this because she is being sarcastic, which is comical. She sounds exasperated, but in a cheerful and joking way. My favorite part of this is how she calls the men coming to see her "wooers." While I understand that it was probably a more common and normal word when the play was written than it is now, I still find it funny that she didn't call them "suitors." She could see right through each man and knew that they would do anything to woo her. She seems to be questioning their sincerity through her word choice and I just love the way she phrases all her sentences. She is often overly dramatic (but not in an annoying way) and sarcastic, which is entertaining.
Also, I liked how after she becomes so excited for a moment about Bassanio, she is brought back to reality when yet another rich and insincere suitor comes knocking There is almost an undertone of disappointment as she realized that she still has to deal with all of these rich dukes and princes before she can consider Bassanio.
Good night all! :)
Portia has obviously been unimpressed by these rich and proper suitors so Narissa proposes the idea of Bassinio in order to see if she can provoke a response.
When she is able to she knows that he is on the tip of Portia's mind.
Richard
1. Portia is a typical Shakespearean comedy heroine, because she is witty: quote an example and explain.
Portia says: "...I can easier teach twenty what were good to be done than be one of the twenty to fallow mine own teaching..." (Line 15)
That is witty! She says she can teach people how to be good people more easily than to act as a good person should. That she is aware of that is keen intelligence. How Shakespeare points out a typical hypocritical action of everyday life with such ease is comical. And yet if said by a character with different characteristics the line could be taken in such a different manner, that is witty as well.
Hello,
Addressing question four, I believe Portia not only recognizes the hint of Bassanio but is very interested. To be very technical, Shakespeare gives it away with the explanation point but the repetition of the word "yes" insinuates an eagerness toward Bassanio. I also think the dash in the middle of the line is very important. Perhaps Portia's excitement toward Bassanio is not proper of her and is a bit out of place and so she covers it up with an "I think this is what it was" sort of scenario. By "taking back" her excitement, Portia rights herself and attempts to cover up her obvious eager memories toward Bassanio.
Thanks
Adding on to the idea presented by Richard, Portia's response acknowledging Bassinio is interesting because it suggests a possible deeper personal connection to him. The immediate "yes" shows how she is almost thinking the question before it is asked. The m- dashed, while obviously an editorial assistance, as Shakespeare never himself included punctuation in any of his plays (he included some in his poetry), is useful in suggesting that Portia is perhaps contemplating the idea of him, or perhaps that she is trying to hide her knowledge and excitement for him. However because the Bard never included punctuation himself these are all later scholars' interpretations.
Responding to #1.
"I am much afeared my lady his mother played false with a smith."
This qoute is full of wit and humor! I interpret this as Portia saying how the Neapolitan Prince is so obsessed about horses, that his mother played false (cheated) on her husband with a blacksmith, (one who makes horseshoes!). And how that would explain his compulsive obsession. I find this pretty funny!
This section definitely captures the fact that Portia has the elements of Shakespeare's typical heroine in her humor, wittiness, and energy. Throughout this scene Portia's friend, Nerissa, brings up man after man interested in Portia. Her energy and enthusiasm shows because she is willing to describe each with an explanation. She doesn't say what she thinks of one and then get sick of the topic. She is energetic in the conversation and despite the annoyance she much feel with her dislike towards each man, she has a motivated, energetic, and good humored attitude towards each. She definitely has a sense of humor as she makes fun of each man. For example, when she says "I will do anything Nerissa, ere I will be married to a sponge.", she is showing her good humor towards the situation. The simile that she uses here is humorous and she seems to be laughing it off despite the seriousness of the situation. I feel this quote also shows her witty side because it is rather inventive and quick in it's humor.
Also in response to #4, I think in line 95 when Portia says "Yes, yes, it was Bassanio! - as I think so was he called." it seems as if she suddenly recalls an encounter with Bassanio that she has had. This thought brings to her mind the fact that he wasn't among the suitors that she disliked. It seems to me to be a realization that Bassanio rings a bell for her, it strikes an emotional chord, possibly a good one. She suddenly remembers that she liked whatever happened with him. The dash in the middle seems to me to be a pause. It is the moment that portia catches herself, because she doesn't want to give away her true feelings to her friend. She suddenly felt something when Bassanio was brought up, but she wants to keep it to herself. So, in order to save herself from seeming overeager, she adds that she at least thinks that was his name, but oh, she isn't sure or anything! (SHE IS SURE!) She just doesn't want to fall for anybody yet and the idea of it, and her friend knowing, is not what she wants. Especially, because she isn't sure what Nerissa thinks of Bassanio yet, so she doesn't want to say the wrong thing.
(I kind of answered two prompts.. oh well)
"I had rather be married to a death's head with a bone in his mouth than to either of these. God defend me from these two!"
I liked how Portia ridicules the two suitors who desire to marry her. She has an independent mind that is considered humorous since she is incredulous of the two rich suitors, who we see, has failed to give a decent impression to her. I hypothesize that Portia will torture and dismiss the two rich suitors who persevere to win her heart.
Portia's witt and sharp humor come through in her conversation with her friend, Nerissa. She reads her suitors' personalities and intentions well and explains them each comically and as if she had studied the negative aspects of each of them. We learn she is very picky and and being a clever and critical woman, her suitors will not win her over very easily. There is some hint in the way she speaks of them that she will either challenge them or have nothing to do with them, having in mind already what she wants.
hi this is pall answering question number three.
When Portia's friend asks her which suitor she likes best, Portia asks her to list all the names, and then Portia will describe them one by one, and the more she likes them, the better description she will give. I think this i a good example of her abundant energy because any un-energetic person would simply give an answer, and avoid all of that talking that portia seems to love to do.
Post a Comment