
1. In what way is this not a typical short story (assuming there is such a thing as a typical short story)?
2. Could the plot structure we have looked at --exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, conclusion--apply to this story? Try to apply it if you think it could.
3. Do you feel sympathy for the hunger artist? Is there anything in the story that makes you feel as if the reader is supposed to feel sympathy for the hunger artist?
4. Are the characters other than the hunger artist presented negatively? Explain.
5. What do you think of the hunger artist's idea that fasting really isn't difficult? (top of 209)
6. Find evidence that the hunger artist takes pride in his ability fast.
7. What do you make of the hunger artist's statement that his reason for fasting is that he has never found food to his liking? bottom of 213-214)?
8. Comment on a sentence or a phrase.
16 comments:
Hello everyone. ^_^
6. Find evidence that the hunger artist takes pride in his ability fast.
While reading the short story "The Hunger Artist", the evidence that I found that the hunger artist takes pride in his ability to fast was on page 208. "He was quite happy at the prospect of spending a sleepless night with such watchers; he was ready to exchange jokes with them, to tell them stories out of his nomadic life, anything at all to keep them awake and demonstrate to them again that he had no eatables in his cage and that he was fasting as not one of them could fast." The artist in the short story has so much pride that he does not even want to stop fasting. In the book, it says "Why stop fasting at this particular moment, after forty days of it? He had held out for a long time, an illimitably long time; why stop now, when he was in his best fasting form, or rather not quite in his best fasting form?" (Pg. 209)Maybe the artist is trying to prove a point or acheive something, which might be the reason why he has so much pride.
Hey everyone,
My answer is pertaining to question number 5!
So I am a christian and in the christian religion "fasting" plays a huge part. We believe that whenever something really big occurs in your life then fasting should take place from sunrise to sunset, there is no eating or drinking (anything but water), and whenever the thought of hunger enters your mind you are to pray. The praying helps the hunger go away, almost immediately. I have done this many a time, and in all honesty it is quite easy. The hunger artist is fasting for reasons he believes in, not just to fast. Fasting should only be done in a dyer or important circumstance, and if it is for non-selfish reasons then it will be easy. I don't think it is weird in any way shape or form that he finds it easy. However, I really look forward to what all of you have to say. I am very interested in this, and I would love to see the truthful points of view from my fellow students!
Also, Shenese I think what you have said about his pride is relevant, however I don't know if pride and fastingreally have anything to do with eachother...I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on that subject also!
Thanks!
Heyo
5. What do you think of the hunger artist's idea that fasting really isn't difficult? (top of 209).
I will be answering this question tonight. Ashlie made a really good point about Christianity and how fasting in this particular short story could have some weird and unusual religious affiliation behind it and the thoughts that the Hunger Artist is displaying. But, from my personal point of view (not in disagreement with Ashlie's statement), I admire the Hunger Artist very much for this gutsy and strange choice he made. The top of 209 says "Yet for other reasons he was never satisfied; it was not perhaps mere fasting that had brought him to such skeleton thinness that many people had regretfully to keep away from his exhibitions, because the sight of him was too much for them, perhaps it was dissatisfaction with himself that had worn him down." The part that says "perhaps it was dissatisfaction with himself that had worn him down". Perhaps, in a further and more profound sense, he hates himself that he feels that eating is not doing himself any good and it's almost like the food does not deserve to be consumed by such a "creature" as himself. Although that may sound weird, it makes sense if you think about the kind of character the Hunger Artist portrays himself to eat. Also, he may already be self-conscious about himself or gotten used to the visual abuse; however, this self-consciousness he may or may not display may also have something to do with it. He may not want to be too fat because people will have more to make fun of him for and if he's skinny, atleast they can't call him fat. He may have already gotten over the fact that he's constantly ridiculed and therefore does not care about his appearance, but that is simply one of my interpretations on it. Lastly, he may not eat for this reason; perhaps he still wants to maintain his pride as this creature that he may have already convinced himself he is and that society views him as. He may be trying to make a statement saying "I may be ugly and disgusting and ridiculed constantly, but not eating is more guts than any of you will ever be able to say you have". For example, it it like having a fight with your parents, to the point where you get so mad you just go out to the car and sit there until they come out and talk to you. This way, you would have gotten your satisfaction and your point would have been made (in your eyes). Perhaps this is the same situation and he is just simply waiting for someone to point out the fact that he does not eat and he is a strong believer in fasting. This way, if something like that were to happen or if it were ever possible, he would feel inside that he had gotten the respect and pride he has so long desired and deserved. Thank you all for readint this long and interpretive blog, but I feel it helps contribute to the big idea of this "short story", if it is so, according to prompt #1. I hope you all enjoyed the art show and I will see you all tomorrow in class!
Have a good night!
Mason
In response to number 7.
Food is what sustains us as human beings. Without food we die. It becomes clear that the hunger artist lives to show us that we are selfish. The only way he survives is by knowing that everybody is watching him, and that everybody respects him. When he moves to the circus and everyone stops paying attention to him he is unable to stop fasting. and eventually dies. In my opinion this is the very reason that he never found food to his liking. He is unable to find anything in life joyous other than praise from others. Without food one is unable to live a normal and healthy life. I think that the hunger artist could find no purpose and life and it caused him to be depressed and alone. Without food he was unable to function fully and he lived for attention because that is all the world could offer him. Because deep down he knew that humans only think of themselves and it is self satisfaction that keeps us going and living and working and eating and sleeping. The hunger artist wanted to defy the need to "self satisfy" and ironically he was doing just that by seeking attention from the world for avoiding food. It is all quite ironic, and slightly disturbing.
6. Find evidence that the hunger artist takes pride in his ability fast.
I was thinking for a while into the story- why the artist did not just eat something, is it torture or is it a way of life he has taken up himself. The first sign to me that the artist takes pride in this ability to fast is on the second page in the beginning of the second paragraph- "This was nothing but a formality, instituted to reassure the masses, for the initiates knew well enough that during his fast the artist would never in any curcumstances, not even under forcible compulsion, swallow the smallest morsel of food: the honor of his profession forbade it.
Two things I would like to highlight to support my belief that the artist has pride in his ability: the part that says that not even under forcible compulsion would he eat. That is a strong thing to defy, but it says that he would go to that extreme- fight that hard. My other piece of evidence from this passage is the diction, especially in the word "honor" in the last few words. That it was the feeling of honor that made him fast, and to me pride can only be fueled with "honor" or he is not an artist- he is a masochist.
3. Do you feel sympathy for the hunger artist? Is there anything in the story that makes you feel as if the reader is supposed to feel sympathy for the hunger artist?
I feel ambivalent towards the hunger artist. I am not sure to feel sympathy for this man or not. The hunger artist is taking a risk to fast for days and people actually enjoy watching this. He too, enjoys this job because he could socialize at night while he gets an enormous breakfast to eat. On the downside, nothing gold can stay. People began to drop their interest in watching a man starve himself and the hunger artist is gone from being a star. He is pushed aside at the place he believed he will be a huge star. It is a pity that nobody would watch him anymore but he did not quit fasting and he died eventually without feeling remorse. Therefore, I don't feel sympathy nor feel sympathy towards this hunger artist because he is the one who is responsible for fasting and it was his own decision to do so.
Hey Everyone,
I am going to answer question number 8. I actually really was hoping that this prompt would be given. I found that throughout the text the author uses extremely long sentences and each one being very descriptive. For example on page 207 where the author writes "At one time the whole town took a lively interest..." and this sentence even continues on to the next page and ends the first paragraph. Another example includes on page 209 where the author writes "So on the fortieth day, the flower bedecked cage..." At the same time though the author uses very short sentences for instance a couple sentences after that one the author writes " And at this very moment the artist always turned stubborn." It's very short in comparison to his others. I don't really know what to make of this, but I found it all interesting and would love to hear what others have to say about this comment. I look forward to hearing back with some answers...Oh and GOOD JOB ARTIST!!!!!
In response to #1, I found this story to be quite different from many other short stories.
Firstly, there is very little dialogue, which takes away from the "story" element of it. If the characters cannot be developed through what they say, it is hard for an audience to connect with the characters. Kafka had to strive to develop the characters (mainly the artist) in other ways, such as third party observation.
Also, the introduction was a bit odd. It almost began like an essay on professional fasting rather than a fictional creative story. I was actually confused at first o what we were reading and if it was actually a story or not. The sentence structure is also different from normal stories, as the sentences are long and tend to explain a lot, unlike the suspense of any other short story. The many semi-colons and clauses make it hard for the mind to digest.
Finally, I didn't really catch on to a plot structure that is traditional. There wasn't a very clear rising action or climax or falling action. It was all just words describing a drawn out scene. I almost felt like I was observing a painting of still life.
However, I find it impressive that Kafka was still able to craft an interesting story in such an abstract format. He really took risks with his structure and ended up with a wonderful story.
Night!!
7. When the hunger artist says his reason for fasting is that he had never found food to his liking, I think that it's more than just not liking food. I think food is symbolic for something else. Perhaps food symbolizes human greed to the hunger artist. He doesn't like what everyone else has, human greed. He wants to be a positive role-model and inspiration to people to see how greedy they are. He is just extreme to get his point across, although he doesn't suceed with it. Also, maybe the food also symbolizes he unhappiness to get his message across. Until people respected and took note of his point, he might have been different. Everyone likes the panther because it is full of life and represents health and is strong. People look more into being the best they can be. Personally, I think fasting is stupid. I don't mean to offend anyone or their religion but people need food and it's bad NOT to eat. I don't see why it should be so noble to give up your body for your religion, but then again, I'm atheist. I just love food, man! Sorry, I'm getting off subject here with my own personal thoughts! goodnight!
I am going to answer number one. I think that this is not a typical short story because it goes into the idea of fasting, I would frequently read short stories when I was younger and they were simple, to the point, but at the same time allowing you to use your imagination. Fasting does involve religion and showing your devotion to the powers that be, however, I do not think it is possible to define what a short story is. These stories have been published in many different lengths, exploring topics all across the board whether they are complex or not.
Hey Guys
Im going to answer question number 4. I honestly dont feel as though the other characters in this story are portrayed in a negative way. In the beginning they seem in disbelief that the hunger artist can possibly fast for over 40 days with out any food. You can not blame the other characters for assuming this without any proof. I would never believe that somebody could succsefully do this. Although the other characters do accuse him of cheating which is a very ratty and negative thing to do. Thus the manager limits the hunger artist to a maximum of forty days of fasting. For his own safety, because he is probably worried for the hunger artists safety. The Hunger Artist feels unsatisfied because he knows that he could have lasted longer and he is insulted that they accused him of cheating. At the end of the story everybody believes that he could have lasted longer and he tells them about his dislike in their food. That is why he fasted. Either way the characters are portrayed in many ways. At first they are stubborn and have no belief in him, yet by the end of the story they are in disbelief and look up to the hunger artist.
1. In what way is this not a typical short story (assuming there is such a thing as a typical short story)?
This is not a typical story because of the subject that the author based it on and the way the author approached the subject. I have never heard of a "hunger artist" and to me it sounds like a very strange passion. The way that the artist is described makes him seem honored and looked up to and those who watch him even get tickets to see the last few days of the fast. The older people in the community see it as a fad, much like the elders in our society don't understand a lot of the things that younger people take an interest to. There were similarities in this world to ours because the people enjoyed this act of torture and called it an art where as some people enjoy watching similar barbaric activities take place. For instance, I believe the "running of the bulls" in China is the strangest celebration I've ever heard of and people are killed each year at it. Things like this just don't make sense and to write about such an inhumane thing, like depriving some one of food and putting them in a cage, in a casual way is very erie. The way the author makes it seem as if the artist enjoys the spectators making sure he keeps fasting and the comfortable straw and how he wants to continue depriving himself of nourishment seems so twisted that it is hard to imagine anyone taking an interest in it or not protesting it. However, the interesting part of this concept is I think a lot of people, if subjected to these activities all their lives or lived in a society that approved of fasting, would enjoy watching and taking part in the festivities.
Hello,
So regarding question one, this story is extremely different from a normal short story, or at least the ones we have read this year. First off, the whole story is essentially one scene. Unlike the last few short stories we have read, there is no change in setting or situation. Also, everything is told by the narrator. Excluding a few direct quotes in the very end of the story the narrator basically just tells us of the Hunger Artist's life. It is hard to say, but I would say a big difference in this story compared to others is the depth of the characters. I think for the majority of the story the every character, including the hunger artist, are flat. I think in the very end of the story, the hunger artist becomes round but he is the only character to do so. To get more outside of the box, I think the story is basically one big metaphor. The story, told by the narrator, is not really about a real person but an art form. I think this story is relevant to all art and uses the hunger artist to express its point. I feel as if I am getting toward something about the meaning of this story but I am just at the beginning of figuring that out.
Pall
#1
First, this short story tells us pretty much right away what the story is going to be about, unlike your 'typical' short story, which usually leaves the reader unclear for at least a couple of pages. Second, there is a conflict, but it's not anything dramatic or grabbing, or anything that makes the reader want to read it twice. Third, even though the death of the hunger artist seems like it should be a huge and important turning point in the story, the hunger artist dies in a rather un dramatic way, and peoples reaction to it is also less then enthusiastic. However, i think that this story does fit in with your typical short story because the character of the story corresponds to the character of the point that it is trying to make. In this short story, i'd say the point is that things come and go, and usually people don't care too much.
Hello,
Regarding question number three...
I definitely feel sympathy for the hungry artist. However, it is not necessarily the type of sympathy I expected to feel after reading the story. I don't really understand the concept of fasting, but in the end, I ended up feeling sorry that the hunger artist could not fast longer than forty days. I definitely think the hunger artist is in a way addicted to not eating and he takes it more seriously than just a job, but more as a lifestyle that he would prefer to live by always.
Though I did feel sympathy for him, I'm not the author meant for readers to feel sympathy for him. I feel that a lot of readers wouldn't understand why he is fasting, and why he would want to fast longer. Or perhaps, to look at it another way, a reader might look at the story and say, "well, he gets attention and fame for fasting, and when he is done he gets a woman on either side and a full meal to eat." However, like myself, in some way I connect the hunger artist's lifestyle as sad somehow, even though he seems to love it.
Thanks
I feel that the characters other than the hunger artist are presented in both a negative and positive way. I feel that their reactions to the hunger man of awe are normal. It does not seem that they are mocking the hunger man or being rude to him in any way. They are just your average people, who heard about an odd attraction and have come to see it. I feel that it is human nature to want to see the odd or strange in this world, there is something slightly grotesque about it, yet I feel we all do it at some point in time. This can become an obsession, which I feel is when it gets negative.
I could see how at the end, when they find the hunger artist almost dead, how the people could seem negative. They don't really react to his death too much, but why would they as they really never knew him besides what he had made of himself.
I see the whole story as being kind of negative. I feel it strange to be observing another human, especially in a cage. Yet it was the hunger man who put himself there.
Post a Comment