

This blog assignment is optional. It is NOT in true-false mode.
1. How might the way the book ends affect the book's meaning?
2. Is it possible that Sula is both wicked, or mean, AND liked or even loved by the reader? If so, how?
3. Morrison presents us with various women, none of them perfect. Is it possible to be more whole, more complete, as a woman? On the evidence of this book, does the author think it is possible to be more whole, more complete, as a woman?
1. How might the way the book ends affect the book's meaning?
2. Is it possible that Sula is both wicked, or mean, AND liked or even loved by the reader? If so, how?
3. Morrison presents us with various women, none of them perfect. Is it possible to be more whole, more complete, as a woman? On the evidence of this book, does the author think it is possible to be more whole, more complete, as a woman?
2 comments:
HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! HAPPY HANNUKAH!!! HAPPY KWANZA!!! MERRY SOLSTACE!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR, TOO!!!!
Ok, so, I KNOW that I said I would blog tonight, so TONIGHT I'm just going to be 'checking in' but I HOPE to blog over the break so STAY POSTED.
HAVE A GREAT BREAK EVERYONE!!!!
Wow, first one to blog, THAT hasn't happened in a while. And, I just realized that I've been using caps A LOT, but hey what can do, I basically just had a half gallon of soda (it's called a Mega Jug from Taco Bell, long story, well not really, but yeah) but anyway, I hope everyone has a great and restful break!!!
Mike off!
hehe <3 u mike :-)
I hope everyone had a WONDERFUL holiday. I got three Bruce Springsteen cds, so mine was a jackpot. :-)
aaaanyway.
I think Sula most definitely appeals to the reader despite her morally innapropriate behavior. It is not that she has a wicked nature, I think her impulses are very natural. She desires connectedness, and seeks it wherever she can -- sex, intense friendships, etc... This desire to connect is present in all of us, to an extent. Thus, it is easy to relate to Sula's basic desire to understand and be understood. The part of her that is wicked is the fact that she succumbs so fully to her impulses. She places her needs before those of others, and she is not concerned with the consequence of her actions. The beauty of Sula's character is the juxtaposition of her loveable and relateable nature with the way she acts -- which is plainly innapropriate. We almost admire her disregard for the opinions of others, while scorning her thoughtless behavior. This complex character development is a strength on Morrison's part, and is reinforced by the use of magical realism -- the plague of robins, the surreal ambiance of the town in general, and of the supporting characters. (the Dewey's, etc...)
Happy 2009!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment