Monday, February 2, 2009

The Country Husband 69-73


1. Find a moment in the story at which you think language is being used effectively, quote it, and briefly say why. Diction (word choice)? Syntax (word order)? Sound? Irony? Something else?

OR

2. Is there anything so far about the story that makes it seem a little different from other stories you have read? Briefly explain.

OR

3. Francis is rude to Mrs. Wrightson on p. 70 (paragraphs 33-35). Comment.

OR

4. Can you find a connection between Gertrude (p. 72) and anything else in the story so far? What?

OR

5. Notice something that no one else has noticed yet about this reading.

27 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Guys, it's Mason.

Addressing question #3, I think he was rude to Mrs. Wrightson for once because he was trying to focus on this mysterious Venus character that was taking over his mind, at the moment. I think this mysterious, naked woman gave him this new sensation of emotion and he felt he could stand up to anyone. And the passage said that he was happy about being rude and he double checked her facial expression to ensure discouragement had taken place. It seemed as if this Venus character changed him for a brief moment. Either that or he had just been fed up with Mrs. Wrightson's shenanigans. But, I found this passage a bit humerous and a bit strange at the same time because she seems to be the kind of person who says a lot and no one really listens. And, Francis was just demonstrating either frustration or a change of character? But, not in relation to this question, I'm anxious to see how Francis is going to react to not being able to drive the baby-sitter home.

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone! I am very interested in the sudden appearance of the character of Gertrude, so I think I'll try to address prompt #4.

While reading this section, it is apparent that Francis' mind is constantly preoccupied by Anne. Her new presence in his life has taken him a bit by surprise, and he seems to have trouble focusing on much else. He is anxiously awaiting the time when he will be able to drive her home and give her the bracelet. So, one could say that Anne is an ever-present figure in the life of Francis. When I read the prompt about Gertrude, I began to understand that she is an ever-present figure in the neighborhood. No matter what anyone says to her, she refuses to leave. I found that the presence of Anne in Francis' mind was similar. When he was trying to sleep, she entered his dreams. When he sees the woman on the train, he is interested because he has been thinking about Anne, who, unlike "Venus," is real in his life. The sight of the woman probably heightened his already emotional state. Then, his mind is preoccupied by Anne at the party, where he only engages in the minimum amount of conversation and activity while he awaits his time with Anne. As he arrives back at his own house, Anne is apparently still on his mind, because he is quite upset when he is told he won't be driving her home.

While it doesn't appear that Francis has any desire to expel Anne from his thoughts, I don't believe he could even if he wanted to. She is an ever-present figure, just like Gertrude. Gertrude is just a tangible example of the figment of Anne in Francis' mind. That is the connection I was able to make between the two. I feel like Gertrude may symbolize more than that as we continue reading, and I am interested to see what it could be.

Anonymous said...

Maggie here. In response to Question number 3. I feel that Francis was rude to Mrs. Wrightson because of the lack of control he feels that he has on his life at the moment. His family doesn't care about his feelings, he is in love with a teenager, he just missed the train, and he nearly died in a plane crash. He feels as though his life is out of control and I think he may be suddenly going through some sort of midlife crisis. His decision to be rude to Mrs. Wrightson is his way of trying to take control of his life. He has the ability to be rude to whoever he wants and he has suddenly realized that he doesn't always have to listen to his neighbors ramble on about nothing. I think he is really going crazy it seemed completely out of character for him to say such a thing and I feel like he wouldn't say something like this previously. His strange obsession with the babysitter is causing him to do things he would not have done before. Ironically, his being rude and mean to someone else makes him feel better about his own problems. He suddenly sees the world as more beautiful "...birds were singing-cardinals and the last of the robins. The sky shone like enamel. Even the smell of ink from his morning paper hones his appetite for life, and the world that was spread out around him was plainly a paradise." This quote shows his feelings for the world and how he gets pleasure from other peoples hurt. This was very unexpected for me and I felt bad for Mrs. Wrightson who was simply trying to make conversation, and was rudely shut down for no reason at all.

kelseydobyns said...

Hello :)

When Francis is thinking about Anne in his mind, it is the only thing that makes him happy. After he bought a bracelet for her, he was unsure of where they would meet next until he opened the door and, "seized her and covered her lips with his, and she struggled but she did not have to struggle for long, because just then little Gertrude Flannery appeared.." He did not even speak to her, he just went strait in for the kill. Anne is the only person who listens to him. His family does not have any interest in what he has to say, and he just went through a tragic plane incident and survived which is rare. When he does not take her home after the party, he is very upset. Then he continues on to write a letter to Anne on his bed. He told her that HE LOVED HER,"He used phrases like heavenly bliss, and love nest. He salivated, sighed, and trembled. When Julia called him to come down, the abyss between his fantasy and the practical world opened so wide that he felt it affected the muscles of his heart." When he is with, or thinking about Anne he is a different person. He is falling out of love with his wife, and in love with a teenager. When he talks about the muscles of his heart, it intensified the story and I realized that he wants to be with Anne. I think if this feeling was not described as specifically it would not have affected me. Whenever something is being explained in the story, it is so detailed and specific so I feel like I am smelling her perfume and looking into her eyes whereas in most stories I feel like I am just observing the characters interact.

Unknown said...

Mason again...

Just checking in and reading some comments.

DDoll26 said...

Hey guys,

I agree with what everyone has addressed thus far. I am really interested in how Francis is so interested in other women. As we read today/tonight he has strong feelings for Anne, and therefore is rude to Gertrude. All he could think about at the party is taking Anne back home. Once they arrive home Julia says "I told the Murchinson girl she could leave at eleven. Someone drove her home." After Francis had heard this he decided that he would just sit in the car and think. He began feeling jealous and began to tear up. "His arms spread over the steering wheel and his head buried in them for love." Francis also mentioned earlier in the story that no one in the neighborhood has ever gotten a divorce or done anything besides what is the norm. He shows that he wants to love someone other then Julia, but doesn't know how. I just found it very interesting how he is searching for love and that maybe his wife knows about it.

Anonymous said...

Hey Everyone,
So I am attempting question number 4. I believe that Gertrude represents Francis in a way. I don't really know if he belongs or is wanted and I don't think he knows that for sure. Gertrude is descirbed as a "stray". This implies that she doesn't have a true place to call home or people that really care about her, even though later her parents are mentioned. Francis is surrounded by people constantly, but does that mean that they actually care about him? Does that mean that he is truly wanted? I couldn't answer that. I feel as though the answer would be clearer if they would have reacted to the fact that he had been in a plane crash. His family seemed unphased by it and that makes me question how close they all are to eachother. All Gertrude wants is to be loved and to have someone think highly of her. I think the only person thus far that has really done that for Francis is Anne.

Shenese said...

I agree with Mason and Maggie on question number 3.
_________________________

For question number 4, I did see a connection with Gertrude. Gertrude Flannery and Mrs.Henlien(From the previous reading) are both young. It seems to me that Francis Weed like young girls...or something. I say this because of this qoute "He seized her and covered her lips with his, and she struggled but she did not have to struggle for long,because just then little Gertrude Flannery appeared from somewhere and said, oh Mr. Weed." Pg 72

Qoute 72 reminds me of what Mr. Weed did to Henlein on page 69. Do you guys remember? "She turned toward Francis, and he took her in his arms and let her cry on his shoulder. She shook in his embrace, and this movement accentuated his sense of the fineness of her flesh and bone. The layers of their clothing felt thin, and when her shuddering began to diminish, it was so much like a paroxysm of love that Francis lost his head and pulled her roughly against him." Oh, and here's another one "At the steps, she freed her hand and then turned and kissed him swiftly." Pg. 69.

Yeah...

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just checking in! It was nice to see what other people thought Gertrude could represent. It is all very interesting!

Have a lovely evening!
--Kacie

DDoll26 said...

Hey,
Just checking in. It is very interesting conversation about Gertrude, can't wait to hear more in class.

Sarah said...

I agree for the most part with what everyone has said about #3 and #4.

In regards to how this story is different from other stories, there is one main thing that sticks out to me. In most stories that I have read, especially short stories, there are not so many characters. Characters, in particular women, keep coming into the story. Francis then has some sort of interaction with them, and they leave the story. This is not true about his wife, or about Anne so far. However, he really has only had one conversation with Julia at the beginning of the story. I think it may have to do with Francis being unsatisfied in his life. I believe him to feel misunderstood and trying to find someone, a woman to understand.
He has his fantasies and dreams, but they are very different from what is actual life appears to be.
Back to the differences from other stories, is that there seems to be many subplots that all link back to Francis and his unsatisfactory marriage and desire for something different.

Shenese said...

Checking in.

Megumi said...

In page 72, I noticed that Gertrude’s obstinate behavior is like Francis Weed’s behavior in this part of the story. Gertrude’s constant visits to her neighbors’ places are unexpected and annoying. Compared to her naïve personality and annoying visits, Francis Weed’s behavior has the same effect on Francis Weed’s sudden aggravating behavior. Gertrude’s unexpected visits and Francis Weed’s imminent impoliteness are what drove the nearest people to have a feel to eliminate them. For example, Francis Weed’s rude comment he made to Mrs. Wrigtson resulted his family to be uninvited to her party, which Julia was displeased. When his wife interrogated him about his rude encounter with Mrs. Wrightson, Francis brushed it off as it was no big deal and it made Julia to try running away without knowing that it was all Francis that made her life as it is now. Francis Weed’s kiss shocked Miss Rainey which caused her to take another job to avoid him. Also, Francis’s jealousy towards Clayton results him to loose his control of morality. Therefore, I find that Francis’s sudden change of behavior is similar to Gertrude’s visits because their behaviors are unaccecpted in their neighborhood.

Anonymous said...

I think that there is a connection between Jupiter the dog and Gertrude. Jupiter goes where he pleases and so does Gertrude. Both are always where they don't belong and are a nuisance to Shady Hill.

I also really liked what Kacie said about Gertrude and Anne being ever-present.

Sarah said...

Checking in.

Unknown said...

Hakuna Matata,

I think that Francis is so rude to Mrs. Wrightson for a number of reasons. Firstly, I think she represents the idealistic, perfectionistic and almost overly-lofty high class society he finds himself, primarily due to his wife, enveloped in. His recent exploits with the babysitter have forced him to reconsider the morals and principles that he lives by and perhaps he is struggling with the idea of perfection and the requirement of being perfect presented by this upper-class society's unwritten moral codes. Secondly I find that Francis is so rude to Mrs. Wrightson because he needs an outlet for the inner struggle he has going on. The simplicity that this opportunity present, the possibility of simply denying someone, someone of relative unimportance, a casual conversation, is extremely inviting to him and lets him vent without any genuine repercussions. Thirdly Francis seems rude because he has so much more dramatic and intense material to focus on. The whimsical, pointlessness of Mrs. Wrightson's shower curtain problem offers little real engaging material to focus on and therefore is purely distracting him, swarming upon his mind like a plague of flies. Fourthly, and finally, perhaps Francis finds connection within Mrs. Wrightson's story and his own recent experiences. Although his are much more extreme, he is also lashing because he knows his are so much more intense.

These are some thoughts on question 3.

Peace,
Eric

richard said...

The akward moment Francis faced was when the naked woman appeared to his sight. This happening triggered Francis to see a diferent side of the world that he could never imagine before which was just a start for him. He was actually satisfied with his rude behavior because it must be interesting and something new for him to feel that way.

matt said...

Hey guys this is Matt, I think that Francis was rude to Mrs. Wrightson because he had finally reached the last straw. His family pays no attention to his feelings, he missed his train, and he is in love with his maid. Finally he decided to vent on an innocent person and suddenly he felt great. I think that by being rude to her, he felt that he had more power and control over his life.

kelseydobyns said...

..just checkin in ;)

Anonymous said...

Maggie is checking in! And I just wanted to say I think Eric's take on the rudeness of Francis is very interesting and I agree.

Julia said...

Hey all, I'm addressing prompt #4 about Gertrude..
I think Gertrude's character is very interesting. Not sure if anyone has said this yet but she is a lot like the dog in the previous reading; the is a wanderer in the neighborhood and is somehow important in Francis's life although in what way, it is unclear. Obviously Gertrude is important because she spotted Francis and the babysitter kissing but it is the description of who Gertrude is that interests me the most. The story makes the neighborhood in which Francis lives in to be very "communal" and very "abide by the rules." The story mentions that no scandal ever happens and there has never been a divorces. Sort of a random fact I suppose, but definitely meaningful because it is apparent to us as readers that Francis is in the middle of the first scandal of his neighborhood. I'm not really sure how the dog and Gertrude tie into the story exactly but I know that they are somehow important because they are the same characters in the story in that they are a small but influential part of the life of Francis.

Anonymous said...

h e l l o

FIERCE BLOG!

in response to question 3....

3. Francis is rude to Mrs. Wrightson on p. 70 (paragraphs 33-35). Comment.

I think that when Francis is being rude it is just such a release because what does he have to loose. "The realization of how many years had passes since he had enjoyed being deliberately impolite sobered him"... this clearly shows that like over the years he hasnt had the oppertunity to really just have fun with a women and not treat a women like the salt of the earth and be this person he might not be. He didnt really have anything to loose becuase he is not married to her and like why not get a good chuckle.

Anonymous said...

sup,
adressing question three, Francis was rude in order to make himself feel better. Similar to the way a bully picks on smaller kids to make him or herself feel better. After an overwhelming amount of disrespect and frustrating events Francis snaps. He has no legitimate reason to be rude to the woman but he takes his anger out on her. Surely, his actions were unfair, but everyone, including myself, has been guilty of his actions once or twice.

Anonymous said...

oh ya so im just checking in, i guess

Julia said...

Hello again,
Checking in
Thanks

Anonymous said...

in response to # 2

This story seems different than anything I have ever read because of its main character, Francis. He seems to be a typical husband and father, and for this reason the reader feels compassion for him. It seems like he can be easily related to because of the problems he has at home; his children acting immature or his wife fighting bouts of depression by socializing. It seems like the author wants us to be on his side when he gets in a terrible plane crash, making the reader feel sorry for him. But later, we see a whole other side of Francis that makes the reader question if they should be rooting for him. He has an obvious obsession with the baby-sitter, and is trying to seduce her. He can't think of anything else and the author describes how much this has taken over his mind and heart. The reader still continues to have compassion for Francis, and may try to justify his feelings in their own mind. But it is clear that this craving he has for a girl much too young for him could only lead to trouble. The strange events in this story so far along with the twist of Francis's affair make this story incredibly unique!

Anonymous said...

just checking in!

P.s. I agree with Eric about the possible reasons that Francis would be rude!