Wednesday, February 11, 2009

"A Good Man is Hard to Find"


Flannery O'Connor and one of her peacocks.
Please address the possibility that O'Connor's religious beliefs are helpful in understanding "A Good Man is Hard to Find." We all have varying levels of knowledge about Roman Catholicism (a kind of Christianity), and different Catholics have different ideas, but we must do our best. Please be respectful of others ideas about religion. thank you!

1. From what you know about Jesus, what might be his opinion of, or attitude toward, the grandmother? Would it be the same as his attitude toward, say Bailey and "the children's mother," or different?

OR

2. Consider the possibility that the Misfit is the Devil, i.e., Satan, the chief devil. (One way of thinking about devils is that they were angels who rebelled against God and who, after a civil war in heaven, were banished to hell. They decided, however, to invade earth in order to corrupt human beings and bring them down to hell with them.) Would thinking of the Misfit as the Devil make sense of the Misfit's actions? Would it make sense of the Misfit's statements about Jesus? Would it make sense of the Misfit's name? Is there a different way of making sense of the Misfit?

OR

3. Given what you know about Christianity or Roman Catholicism, why might the story be called "A Good Man is Hard to Find"?

OR

4. Assuming that O'Connor's religion does matter in this story, how does the humor and the element of the grotesque fit in with the religious issues?

18 comments:

kelseydobyns said...

I am answering question number three. I think that in order to be qualified as a "good" person in the Catholic and Christian religion, one needs to not break any of the ten commandments, as well as worship God, and pray daily. I think that someone who fits in this category is difficult to find, especially if they have not been accustomed to this way of life as they were being brought up. I think that some people try to look like they are good christians without actually believing completely in what it means to be a christian. At first glance, it is hard to separate people into these two different categories, which makes it almost impossible to find a "good" man in relation to religion.

Unknown said...

Hi Guys

Addressing question #4, assuming that O'connor's religious affiliation matters in this story, I think both humor and the element of grotesque show up. I think it can be viewed as humerous because the author went so far and believed in her religion so much that she actually decided to put it into her stories and make it almost the main theme of the story. However, the misfit believed so much in Jesus, as do roman catholics, and it is somewhat grotesque that he went to the extreme level of actually killing innocent people and not feeling anything after the killing. However, the misfit does express to his friend that it is not a satisfying deed to have done. I think the religious factor in this story was stronger than I thought.

Anonymous said...

Hey Everyone,
I am addressing question 1. I myself am a believer and I believe that Jesus loves everyone the same amount. The grandmother is outspoken and Bailey is odd, along with his children but I don't think Jesus would treat any of them differently if he met them. I personally believe that even if Jesus were to run into the Misfit, he would not join in with the murderings, but he would try to become friends with him. I mean Jesus befriended everyone, especially the people that needed him the most, and it seems to me that the misfit needs him pretty badly in his life.
I believe that Flannery has the same beliefs or else she would have written a fairy tale with no morbid implications or grotesque features.

Shenese said...

For question number 3, I think the story is called "A Good Man is Hard To Find" because of the character in the story, the Misfit. In the story the Misfit does bad things like killing innocent people, which makes him not good. I am geussing that this title potrays the Misfit. Religion comes into this because of the word "good person".
I am not sure.....

DDoll26 said...

Hey,

I will be attempting to answer question 2. To start off with I must say that I do not know really anything about Catholicism, but I will try my best to understand and interpret without any hurt feelings.

Based on the description provided about devils and how they were to become devils, I believe that the Misfit based on his ACTIONS could be thought of as a devil. To me though I feel like in order to "become" a devil that you would have had to do everything horrible and not acknowledge or understand why it was wrong. In other words, the Misfit may not be a devil based on his actions. Just because he did something horrible, is yes really bad and maybe devilish, but if he understood his mistake and was well aware of it and tried to change the way he behaved,acted, and treated others, then maybe he isn't a devil. Basically, maybe if you take responsibility for your actions and do something about them, then maybe you can climb your way back out of hell. I feel that just because he is called the misfit, that doesn't affect whether or not he is a devil. Many people may be "misfits". To me misfit just means someone who is unique and different from others, in either a bad or good way. So to me his name has nothing to do with whether he is a devil or not. There are many other ways to make sense of the misfit, but I feel like since the author was such a devout roman catholic, that this would probably be the best way to understand and figure out who this misfit really was. I still am trying to understand the misfits thinking and his point he is maybe trying to prove.

I hope I answered and understood the questions correctly without offending any one and SORRY if I did. Have a GREAT night and see everyone tom.

Anonymous said...

For prompt #2, I believe that based on the Misfit's actions, he could not be considered Satan, or any devil. I personally have Christian beliefs, but I would not consider myself an expert in any sense of the word, so I also hope not to offend anyone. :)

Because these "fallen angels" came back to earth to corrupt the population, I don't see the Misfit falling in that category. If you look back at the text, he never really corrupted anyone. He even agreed with the grandmother's statements about religion and Jesus. He does not seem to be passionately convincing people against religion, but rather simply informing others that he has not chosen to believe. He also explain that he kills for joy and pleasure, rather than in an attempt to turn people to "the dark side." I feel that if Satan did exist in human form he would be more adamant about turning people against Jesus and belief in God. I think he is just a man who is possibly in need of guidance, as Ashlie said, or just someone who is indifferent to how he is affecting the world. I don't get the feeling that he is out to convert every Christian.

I hope that made sense!! Have a good night!

Julia said...

Hello,
Regarding question two: I think the possibility that the Misfit is the devil makes a good deal of sense. Going along with the belief that those banished to hell invaded earth to take others with them, the Misfit's actions reflect that because he is killing innocent people and as we discussed in class, he doesn't even bat an eyelash when he kills Bailey and his whole family. On page 378, the Misfit says, "'I never was a bad boy that I remember of...but somewheres along the line I done something wrong and got sent to the penitentiary. I was buried alive."' The part of this quote referencing being buried alive might perhaps symbolize going to hell and yet coming back to earth as a person from hell. Also, on page 379 the misfit states, "'lady...there never was a body that give the undertaker a tip," directly referencing the Devil, or the "undertaker," which gives major evidence to the idea that the Misfit is the devil or is, at least, in association with him. The Misfit also references that "there is nothing but meanness." These quotes all pertain to this idea that the Misfit is indeed Satan. Also, as we discussed in class, there is a certain lack of sanity in the Misfit's character, and his mentioning of why he gave himself the name "Misfit" also pertains to the "devil" idea. He claims that he calls himself the Misfit because he can't make his actions "fit" and all he has ever experienced is punishment. Although it can be assured none of us really know exactly who the "Devil" is or how they act, I imagine O'Connor went for the effect of a person who might resemble someone from hell. The Misfit is dispassionate toward killing, somewhat insane, claiming not to need help from Jesus, etc. I believe this is all firm evidence that the Misfit is an associate of Satan, or perhaps the Devil himself.
(Keep in mind, I'm not religious at all and this is kind of going off what I have heard of experienced from others about the Devil...)

Anonymous said...

Responding to #3, I think that the story is titled, "A Good Man is Hard to Find" because the "good man" is referring to Jesus. Jesus is "hard to find" and the grandmother cannot find it in the Misfit. She tries saving herself by telling the Misfit that Jesus loves him and whatnot, but Jesus just isn't part of him. People can be good, but no one can be compared to Jesus since humans commit sin all the time.

Sarah said...

I know almost nothing about being a Christian or Catholic, since I'm not. So, sorry if what I say is totally inaccurate. As Ashlie was saying, I think Christianity and Jesus try to treat everyone with the same amount of respect and fairness and support. None of the characters in the story seem to represent devout Catholics at all. I think that people do make different choices in their lives. If you believe in a god, I don't think it means that god gives up on you. However, maybe that god could see more potential in someone. I am actually completely confused by this. I think besides from how Jesus is rumored to treat people, it is a basic human way to treat people well and try not to base any opinions or prejudices against the choices they have made in their lives or their behaviors. The Misfit definitely seemed sensitive about his religious beliefs. I think that maybe he really did believe strongly in Jesus, but he felt people would laugh at him or something if he said so. Maybe he felt that Jesus had given up on him, so killing another person wouldn't make a difference.

Anonymous said...

whats up,

referring to question three, In the christian religion, I believe in order to be a good christian your just need to have faith in god. Unlike what kelsey said, I dont think you need to follow all ten commandments to be a good christian. Everyone makes mistakes including good christians. One just needs to realize their mistake and ask for forgiveness. Similar to kelsey however, it is defenately hard to find a true devote christian. In todays society their are so many outside influences that help people to make bad decisions. The temptations are too hard in today's world to keep your sins away.

Anonymous said...

In response to question 4:

If O'Connor's religion truly matters in the story, I believe she used it in an ironic way which twisted grotesque elements into humorous ones. For example, there is a detailed description of the grandmother's elegant Southern-style outfit that she wore, a description of the children's mother as being cabbage-shaped and bunny-like, and there was Bailey with his colorful shirt patterned with birds. Then there is the description of the two people in the rest stop restaurant who seem to be of little importance but they're style is much more blue collar than anything the grandmother is wearing, and the clash is quite humorous. It seems the grandmother sticks out in every way, starting with that description. She is obviously dramatic and we find through her preaching that she is a woman of God. The grotesque exaggeration of her actions while she tells stories to the children, along with her exaggerations of the house she wanted to see, and also her complaint of an injured organ all seem very humorous. What is even more grotesque is the Misfit's story of his youth. He claims his parents were good religious people, and the references he makes to God and religion disgusted me as a reader because of his brutality and lack of conscience. The references he uses make the story powerful, and trigger a sense of pity for the Misfit. I find it grotesque and ironic that a murderer is a worshiper of God and that he seems to find himself holy. He is brutal in the sense that he leads the family to their deaths politely and sweetly. This and the way he killed the grandmother after she told him to pray show that he does not care about those he kills, except for when religion is brought up. His calmness seems sick and the rational way he goes about killing them, in an orderly fashion while saving their clothes, makes him seem so ill and insane. In contrast, the grandmother's dramatic actions and exceptional dress make her stand out in the story, where as the Misfits calmness and lousy second hand clothing define his character and make the story grotesquely captivating.

Anonymous said...

I just thought I would comment on what Kelsey and Brendan were saying... I agree with Brendan on the idea of only needing faith to be considered a Christian. At least that was what I was always under the impression of. I do feel, though, that the term "Christian" has become very vague and is thrown around to describe many more types of people than it actually applies to. It also seems to carry a heavy stereotype, which probably influences the way people view "Christians." So I guess I'm trying to say that the term "Christian" is relative now, and one's interpretation of the Misfit and the grandmother and their actions revolves around one's definition of "Christian."

Secondly, I found it interesting that Julia and I posted our comments at the exact same time, yet had completely opposite responses. It serves as an example of the real complexity of these questions and how the story's meaning can completely change when the idea of religious symbolism is introduced.

Megumi said...

The humor and the element of grotesque fit in with the religious issues in a way. The whole family has an element of grotesque fit; they all have their own personal issues. Bailey is the father but he gives a cold shoulder to everybody, including his own mother who is trying to make everyone happy. The mother cannot chastise her own children. The children are rude and nasty, and the grandma is impulsive and critical. All of these characteristics are what keep the story going, but they are all sinning. The grandma lies about the house that has a “secret panel,” the mother is in her own world and being apathetic towards her family, Bailey is disrespectful towards his mother and says a word that scares her which may indicate that he swore at her, and thus results in the children to be uncontrollable. Along with the family, the Misfit kills people who recognize him. Despite this, he does not want to kill people, which is ironic because he seems to kill people for revenge. Yet, he wanted help and by the way he spoke about Jesus, the savior in Christianity, he seemed like he wanted Jesus to “resurrect” him from this state he is in.

Anonymous said...

Hakuna matata!

To answer prompt 3, i find that the title "A Good Man is Hard to Find" is interesting when juxtaposed onto the possibility of the story having hidden Christian beliefs. The idea that a "good" man is hard to find is extremely vague idea. Good can be defined in numerous ways but the idea that a "good" man in christian terms can be found is almost impossible. The christian good man is perfect and in this way no one is ever good. Interestingly this can show how almost anyone can be defined as "good" and even the Misfit can.

Miles Burnett said...

In response to question 3. I think that "A Good Man is Hard to Find" is just a overall view on Roman Catholics. I think that the message does not have to pertain specially to a "man" but more as people searching to find what ever it is they need. By using the word "fine" I think the author is suggesting that we -people, are always in pursuit of something, and it is on rare occasion the we find what we are looking for "easily." Which brings me back from my ramble to Jesus (the founder of the Roman Catholic Religion.) He had this "idea" or "calling" that he believed to be true and right. I think that in the story the Grandmother really is the symbol of Jesus. That she wanted to go somewhere, felt it was her calling, but was not accepted for it- Making Bailey, Judas; who stood up and took his truthful point of view and indulged it.

Miles Burnett said...

Umm yes, re reading it, i do believe that I created a title for Jesus. Sorry for any confusion, my mind is a blur-incorrect.

Anonymous said...

After taking a second look at the text in “A Good Man is Hard to Find”, it becomes extremely clear to me that the misfit either is the devil, or is certainly representing the devil. The first evidence that points to this is “Watch them children Bobby Lee, you know they make me nervous.” The Bible teaches us to be like children because of their innocent and honest faith in God. Jesus says “let the children come to me” and he teaches His disciples to be more like children in their faith. Only Satan, the antichrist would be nervous of children, the ones who believe in God so easily. The second piece of evidence is when the misfit says “My daddy said I was a different breed of dog from my brothers and sisters. ‘You know’, Daddy said, ‘it’s some that can live their whole life out without asking about it and it’s others has to know why it is, and this boy is one of the latters…” The misfit's “daddy” represents God the Father. Satan started out as one of God’s Angels. His name was Lucifer and he loved God. However he questioned God and his power. He wanted to be as powerful as God and was jealous of God’s love and authority. The misfit’s brothers and sisters are like the other Angels who didn’t question God and didn’t ask about his power, they simply had faith and trusted in Him. Lucifer did not and he wanted to be more powerful than God. He didn’t have faith and he questioned Him. In parallel, the misfit questions his father. It also shows that he is Satan when he talks about how he was a gospel singer for a while. Lucifer was an Angel in Heaven before he was sent to Hell. Also, the walls of the penitentiary are representative of Hell. Once the misfit got there He could not remember the crime he had committed. Like the Devil who is in Hell, all he knows is evil. He cannot change his ways because he does not remember what it is like to love God. The part where the grandmother tells the misfit to pray is also a sign. She tells him that if he prays that Jesus will help him. He does not disagree. That is because the devil knows that Jesus helps people. The devil knows how strong and good Jesus is and that ultimately is what he can’t stand. Satan does not want anybody to be helped by Jesus. “I don’t want no help, I’m doing all right by myself.” Satan’s biggest fear is Jesus and the love Jesus gives. It is the only thing that he cannot beat is good. The misfit does not get upset when he kills people or commits evil. The only thing that phases him is talk of Christ and goodness. It would ruin him and his lies and plan of evil. “No pleasure without meanness.”

richard said...

Question #1


Based on Christianity, in the sitaution like Misfit in a murderer position and hostages are kept, religion is easily reflected or plays an important role. It is because people are in the most severe situation where they might die. Therefore, religion is naturally important to them. If Jesus was in that moment where Misfit was trying to kill people, He would obviously try to convince him not to murder and try to avoid his behavior by persuading.