Thursday, March 26, 2009

Sula 17-29


Find what for you is the most interesting piece of imagery and say what the imagery might say about setting, character, or theme. If someone takes your image, use another image, unless you have something substantively new to say. Iamgery: a p lace where the author makes the reader use his powers of sight, hearing, smell, taste, or touch.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Guys

It was not death or dying that frightened him, but the unexpectedness of both." (Sula p.14). This one part stuck out to me after reading it for the 2nd time and I'm not sure why. It's a statement that forced me to visualize Shadrack or anyone for that matter and how scared he/anyone could be because both of those things are unexpected and random. They could happen at any time. The imagery I get from that one sentence is the theme of death and how it will re-occur as the story progresses.

Mason

Anonymous said...

Hey everyone!

So I found " Out of this she made herself a heavy but elegant dress with velvet collar and pockets." This was such and amazing imagery for sort of an obvious reason. I could actually picture the dress and her making it. There where many things that could have been choosen and in all honesty it was hard for me to choose. However I really enjoyed this little passage. I look forward to reading what all of you have to say!
Thanks!

Shenese said...

"He took his bride to his home in Medallion and put her in a lovely house with brick porch and real lace curtains at the window." Pg 17
By reading this, I can imagen what the house looks like because the author uses "Brick porch" and "Lace curttains at the window" to descirbe the house. This passage that was on page 17 give information about the house. It's not much describtion about it, but you can imagen the house with the "Brick porch" and the lacecurtains at the window." Yeah.
Also, by this passage, it makes you think what kind of person is Wiley Wright because he "took his bride to his home in Medallion and put her in a lovely house..." He seems like a caring person...

Yeah, I thought that was a good imagery...

DDoll26 said...

Hey Everyone,

The sentence(s) I choose was "Like a street pup that wags its tail at the very doorjamb of the butcher shop he has been kicked away from only moments before, Helene smiled. Smiled dazzlingly and coquettishly at the salmon-colored face of the conductor." I choose this part of the passage because it is a great example of imagery as when read you can obviously notice. The sentence reminds me of something that you would see in a movie. Oftentimes in a film, there are moments when you see a dog outside of a butcher shop waiting for someone to offer him a piece of their meat, but gets rejected. When I read this sentence it reminded me of "Lady and the Tramp." I couldn't remember if the Spaghetti place always fed him or not, but there is a part within the movie where Tramp is sitting waiting patiently for his meal of the night. It new creates imagery and also, almost brings back imagery from before. I can't wait to hear what other thoughts everyone has!

kelseydobyns said...

hey.

"Then it was she who carried the gardenia smell. This tiny woman with the softness and lgare of a canary. In that somber house that held four Virgin Marys, where death sighed in every corner and candles sputtered, the gardenia smell and canary-yellow dress emphasized the funeral atmosphere surrounding them." PAGE 25

While reading this I was able to picture this petit woman carring such a strong smell of gardenia and acting wise and pure as she walked through the house.

Megumi said...

"She got out of her bed and lit the lamp to look in the mirror. There was her face, plain brown eyes, three braids and the nose her mother hated.She looked for a long time and suddenly a shiver ran through her."

I could imagine Nel observing her face in the mirror to see what she is on the inside and praying to God to make her wonderful as her mother.

Anonymous said...

I liked the passage on page 21 that reads, "She saw the muscles of their faces tighten, a movement under the skin from blood to marble."

I could literally see the faces of these men turning into an emotionless, stone-like expression. Facial expressions are often more powerful than words, and you cannot hide much in your face. It generally tells all. I really liked that Morrison described the transformation as if the blood froze into marble. It was great imagery for me, and I felt like I could see the men's faces in my mind, which in turn allowed me to better understand the story.

Have a great evening!!

Sarah said...

"She remembered clearly the urine running down and into her stockings until she learned how to squat properly; the disgust on the face of the dead woman and the sound of the funeral drums." page 28.

This sentence incorporates touch, sight, and sound. The feeling of urine on her stockings must have been really unpleasant yet memorable. With having no bathroom must have come some form of humiliation, yet Nel doesn't express it really. To me, it is also interesting that the dead woman's face showed signs of disgust. It makes me wonder what kind of person she was like when she was alive. The sound of the funeral drums, though I don't know what they sound like were part of what stuck in Nel's memory after the trip.

Anonymous said...

I thought I would just say that I love the imagery in the sentence Sarah chose. I remember reading it and having a distict picture in my head due to the detail and creative involvment of many senses on Morrison's part. That is an excellent example of imagery in my opinion. :)

Anonymous said...

"Smiled dazzlingly and coquettishly at the salmon-colored face of the conductor."

The words coquettishly and dazzlingly connote almost a defiance and flirtatiousness. It shows the characterization of Helene. She suddenly is overcome with a need to show the conductor that she will overcome is racism and hatred. Her smile is her way of showing that even if he is in power now, he can't keep her down. This sets up through the imagery of her smile, that Helene's character is one of spontaneous defiance, in small effective ways. The imagery of the "salmon-colored" face really gives us an image of the difference in skin color, and how it plays such a key role in the story and its theme.

Anonymous said...

"Sula's woolly house, where a pot of something was always cooking on the stove; where the mother, Hannah, never scolded or gave directions; where all sorts of people dropped in; where newspapers were stacked in the hallway, and dirty dishes left four hours at a time in the sink--"

The imagery given here is obvious. It describes Sula's house being messy and free. It's the opposite of Nel's house of order, rules, cleanliness, and manors; which is why Nel finds Sula's house appealing.

Anonymous said...

"She heard only that one word; it dangled above her wide-brimmed hat, which had slipped, in her exertion, a bit of a jaunt over her eye." pg. 20

In this description, I could clearly visualize Helene stumbling nervously with all of her bags and being put into a brief trance the moment the conductor called her "Gal". The word must have hit her deeply and brought back a memory of the anxiety she felt when it was used toward her. I felt this description conveyed her feelings of embarrassment and dread of the word, and not that she resented it or was offended. It seemed she was more shocked and humiliated as she stumbled and let her hat fall over her face, hiding her eyes- a sign she is ashamed. It was written as if in her confusion, the hat did not drape over her on purpose, but from what we know about her delicate character, it could have relieved her that it did cover her and helped her to remain modest and apologetic. She must now look down instead of at the man, directly, as if she were lower than him which shows appreciation. I assumed all of this from reading the passage that this quote was in and I feel that the description is a relatable one to any embarrassing or upsetting situation where you must remain pulled together.

Julia said...

"Like a street pup that wags its tail at the very doorjamb of the butcher shop he has been kicked away from only moments before, Helene smiled."

I have sort of found a recurring strength in the characters of this novel in both this imagery and last night's. I find this one particularly interesting and I think it caught my eye because it is very easy to imagine.

By comparing Helene to a dog is in this case a compliment to her character because it accentuates her strength and courage to move past the judgments and hateful actions of antagonists and still maintain her pride and her character. At the same time the comparison can be seen as negative because in some way a stray dog might be seen as a weak link, always relying on the thing around them. In my opinion though, the author means it to be a sign of strength, portrayed through Helene's smile.

Thanks.

matt said...

"LIke a street pup that wags its tail at the very doorjamb of the butcher shop he has been kicked away from only moments before." In this phrase the author is describing Helen's smile. This really stuck out to me because the author uses suck clear description that it pulls me from my seat as if i were watching this myself.

I tried posting a comment last night but it was past 12 and the interenet shut down. sorry

richard said...

Pg28

She got out of bed and lit the lamp to look in the mirror. There was her face, plain brown eyes, three braids and the nose her mother hated. She looked for a long time and suddenly a shiver ran through her.

The imagery i get from this sentence is the physical appearance of her which she later on explains as me. The detailed expressions and descriptions are used to identify her appearance very delightfully.