
1. "Above our heads, the fireworks hung dissolving earrings on the night." (par. 4) Can you find other instances of precise or surprising language, or of adventurous imagery?
2. Par. 5 is a description of the complex emotional dynamics of romantic relationship. How would you describe the dynamics in your words?
2. Par. 5 is a description of the complex emotional dynamics of romantic relationship. How would you describe the dynamics in your words?
3. Can you cite evidence that the two lovers--the narrator and Taro--are fairly deeply in love? Cite it, and discuss if necessary.
4. Can anyone explain the comparison the narrator makes between Taro and Momotaro, the boy in the folktale who is born from a peach?
5. Is this story about boredom? See especially paragraphs 5 and 6. Explain your answer.
16 comments:
Hey Everyone,
I am going to try and answer question number 1. I found a couple of other instances where the author uses precise or surprising/interesting language. In paragraph 6 the author writes, "Nevertheless, as the slow train nosed back into the thickets of neon......" I thought the part where the author wrote nosed back into the thickets of neon was both very precise and interesting. Another example can be found in paragraph 9 where the author writes, "The children lit sparklers under a mouse-colored sky...." THe part where the author wrote mouse-colored sky seemed once again rather precise and interesting and maybe even surprising to some. THe third example i found is in paragraph 12 where the author wrote, ".....the attitude of a pixie on a doorknocker." I once again found that to be a very precise way of comparing his attitude and it created a very precise image in my head. Lastly, the last example can be found in paragraph 12 also where the author wrote, "...he seemed almost like a goblin." This one was like all the others interesting and precise, but also it create an image for the reader to imagine and create an image of what they think this man looked like. I hope I did this correct and I can't wait to see what others have to say.
Hey dudes/dudettes (yeah, that was lame)
Anyway, on a slightly more serious note, tonight, I will be answering #3. #3 states:
3. Can you cite evidence that the two lovers--the narrator and Taro--are fairly deeply in love? Cite it, and discuss if necessary.
The passage of evidence is far too long to type, but if anyone is interested, it is paragraph 10. Paragraph 10, summed up, is the when the couple of Taro and the main character are kissing/sex. The reason as to why this is love is somewhat simple and straightforward...When two people are deeply in love or even fairly in love, they will kiss or show affection through physical action. Also, another thing in this paragraph that truly shows their devotion to one another is they continue to kiss and have sex even when the maid walks in 3 consecutive times. Most civilized people would stop and apologize for their behavior and address the person that is interrupting. The fact that they continued going on with it and having fun with one another shows their true devotion to one another and shows that they are only focused on one another. A very romantic and musshy thing to think of. Another piece of evidence that shows their love for eachother is when they are, quite litterally, walking around Japan attempting to find a place or a hotel to make love. To be so desperate for eachothers company to go looking for shelter to specifically make love is both romantic and desperately longing. My last piece of evidence to prove that the two main characters presented are in love is when the man says "Are you happy now?". Although the narrator makes it clear that the man did not want to be there at all, he went to please her and this is both romantic and sweet toward the narrator. The narrator showed her appreciation throughout the rest of that particular paragraph. I surely hope this is enough evidence out of the 14 paragraphs given to hopefully prove that both Taro and the narrator are fairly in love. Let me know what you guys think!
Good evening to everyone!
Mason
1.)
"the little girls were especially immaculate in pink and white cotton kimonos tied with fluffy sashes like swatches of candy floss"
I thought "swatches of candy floss" was an interesting notion. I'm not sure but candy floss is cotton candy? The context clue, fluffy also backs up my interpretation to what candy floss means since cotton candy is fluffy. Perhaps it's the British word for it.
'--wide shoulders and unusually well developed pectorals, almost like the breasts of a girl approaching puberty."
I just thought this language was surprising because it's kind of sensative and uncomfortable. Maybe it's just me who thinks it's akward. It's also something that guys wouldn't really know about. I remember a line similar to this. I think it was from the book, A Chinese Cinderella? It uses the words "budding breasts" and even today, that comparison still lingers in my brain because it was so profound to me.
anyways, I hope I wasn't being akward? sorry if I was everyone! haha.
In response to number 3, I understand what Mason is saying, but I disagree with his reasoning to why they are deeply in love. I think that two people can have sex and not be in love, they could be caught up in the moment, which would be why they wouldn't really care if the maid kept coming in or not. I don't think that a deep love necessarily comes from having sex with someone, maybe a connection but it's physical not mental and I think a deep, serious love has equal physical and mental attraction in it.
I do feel t hat the characters are in love. I think at the beginning when the narrator gives up the fireworks, which she clearly enjoys because she can sense that Taro is not enjoying it. She knows him so well and loves him that she is willing to give up her enjoyment in order to make him happy. However, I don't seem to get much sense of Taro doing much for her, she seems to wait around and amuse herself with the city while he is busy. I suppose the attraction between the two may be in the opposites. They don't seem similar in their interests, and of course, the narrator is not Japanese. I feel the narrator is trying to embody how JApan approaches woman, "In a society where men dominate, t hey value women only as the object of men's passions." pg 220.
Hi! I am answering number two. I think that this explanation of a dynamic relationship is like thunderstorm. They keep competing with each other (like the thunder and lighting), however they are doing it silently for the majority of the time. And she enjoys testing him and his love, she expects him to know all of her feelings without voicing her opinion and then if he does not do what she imagines he will, she will becomes angry. And then she gave up, went back when she was not even sure if that is what she wanted to do.
Hello,
I'm answering number 3. I am in agreement with Sarah about Mason's interpretation of the two characters being in love. I see what Mason is saying but at the same time I find that sex and physical expression is so much just a spontaneous feeling or emotion rather than actual love. I feel in this instance, the moment Taro and the narrator have sex in the hotel is just a moment dominated by passion and not love. I also think this particular moment is not love because the narrator is looking back into the past (almost a year ago she says) and it sort of seems like the intensity and passion means their relationship was just developing. It would seem that the relationship between Taro and the narrator is much more bland now than it was then, and I think the fact that the encounter of passion was so long ago sort of proves that it was not love, because to me the whole things seems to me as if Taro and the narrator had just met. Following up with a quote to give some evidence, "It is, perhaps, a better thing to be valued only as an object of passion than never to be valued at all" (Pg. 220).
However, I do believe the narrator and Taro are in love, but I think it is a different kind of love. As is mentioned, Japan is a man's world and it seems that men dominate in almost all areas of life over women. Though I do not have a lot of personal experience with this kind of dominating relationship, the connotation is that, simply, the man gets whatever he wants, the woman lives to serve her man, and she gets to do what she wants if there is time in her life and the man allows it. That may not be the exact definition but that's what I think of when the story explains the male domination in the Japanese culture. In terms of Taro's point of view, I think by taking the narrator to see the fireworks he is sacrificing what he wants to do in order to accommodate her needs. "I was watching the fireworks and did not reply at first although I knew how bored he was and, if he was himself enjoying anything, it was only the idea of my pleasure-or, rather, the idea that he enjoyed my pleasure, since this would be a proof of love" (Pg. 218). Put very simply, this seems a pretty straightforward explanation as to the love Taro has for the narrator. The following quote describes the narrator's reciprocal love for Taro. The encounter with the fireworks is a good example of their love and sacrifices for each other. "But I knew his real desire was to return and so return we did, although I do not know if it was worth my small victory of selflessness... Besides, his duty by me was done. He had taken me out for the evening and now he wanted to be rid of me. Or so I saw it" (Pg. 218). I think this quote really sums up the narrator's love for Taro. I especially would like to mention the fact that the narrator mentions duty here. I feel that two lovers are not really obligated to do anything for each other and don't really have specific duties. However when lovers begin to have a stronger relationship such as a marriage or even just a relationship, unspoken duties usually come about. In this case I think these duties have a lot to do with the Japanese culture but I find it interesting that even though they are not married, the narrator feels she must fulfill a duty to Taro, and I think that is love really showing through.
Thanks
Hey. In response to question 2) I feel that the complex dynamic relationship of the two lovers is like a river running through the rocky banks of the mountains. Each rock it flows over or around it either the river or the earth has to give and take in order to progress, interestingly however the river seems to continually flow.
Par. 5 is a description of the complex emotional dynamics of romantic relationship. How would you describe the dynamics in your words?
In this relationship it is clear that both people want to make the other happy, but they are only doing it because they feel like it is their duty and because they love one another they have to prove to each other that they love each other. It seems that they know "it has to be like this" it is obvious that they both know that it is a struggle within the relationship to please the other. This makes me feel like their relationship is not exactly completely genuine and that they want to please each other in an artificial way and ultimately are worried about themselves and their own good state of mind. They are in love, but it is a love that has it's guard up and is caring for the other person for the wrong reasons.
1. "Above our heads, the fireworks hung dissolving earrings on the night." (par. 4) Can you find other instances of precise or surprising language, or of adventurous imagery?
"Nevertheless, as the slow train nosed back into the thickness of neon, his natural liveliness returned." (p.218 par.6)
"The children lit sparklers under a mouse-colored sky.." (p.219 par.9)
"SOmetimes he seemed to possess a curiously unearthly quality when he perched upon the mattress with his knees drawn up beneath his chin in the attitude of a pixie on a doorknocker." (p.219 par.12)
The expressions that the author uses are very unique and I think the most interesting part of her writing is that she uses these strange phrases but makes it seem ordinary and typical. This strange combination of describing beautiful or eccentric imagery with odd vocabulary but making it seem typical to the writing style gives the writing a fresh and interesting appeal.
Hey guys,
I will be adressing question number 3. In my opinion i would not say that thease two people have a dynamic and loving relationship. They are constantly living in fear because of the affair he is having with her, and there are social class differences so they both know that they can not live the rest of their lives together. I think that this relationship is built more around the excitement and risk rather then actual love.
Mr. Durning and whoever else reads my blog. I am having a joint recital this sunday at 12:00 pm. Please come it will be a good time. Thank you!!
5. Is this story about boredom? See especially paragraphs 5 and 6. Explain your answer.
I don't think the story is about boredom. First off that would be the most boring thing to read- something about being bored. And I think that especially in these paragraphs there is a lot to take note of. I think (it might be quite broad of me to say, a little out there if I may that the author is suggesting that simplicity is often the most exciting and rewarding. That something such as fireworks might be thought of as lame or just typical but it is the idea that it is THESE fireworks, with THESE people that it will only be this way once in which the reader should find interesting. Boring no, more of a concept that the reader should ponder to themselves to find the spark and wonder-just like when watching fireworks.
I will be addressing number 5. I actually feel that the story is about boredom in a way. The examples present so far include the two lovers watchinbg fireworks, and the old woman who's grandchildren comb her hair while she sits in "disinterested wonder." I actually disagree with Miles when he says that reading a story about boredom would be boring, because boredom is actually very interesting. The mind wanders to the most peculiar places when one is bored, and I find this story enjoyable even though it is about boredom, in my opinion. Additional evidence of this is in the point of view it is written in. We hear the story from the narrator's point of view, and can hear her thoughts and what she thinks of being bored, and the complications that arise when one tries to pretend they are not bored. Boredom can also be a hurtful thing, as is evident in paragraph 5. That makes the concept of boredom all the more complex. I feel that there are definitely tones of boredom in this story, if not only providing commentary on the subject. It seems to me like an important theme that will carry us throughout the story.
Thanks!! :)
Pall
#1
paragraph 10, page 219 "A year before, on such a throbbing, voluptuous, platitudinous, subtropical night..."
Paragraph 7, page 218 "She was so old she had lapsed almost entirely into a somnolent plant life."
Paragraph 11, page 219 - 220 "... for his elegant body which had such curious, androgynous grace with its svelte, elongated spine, wide shoulders, and unusually well developed pectorals, almost like the breasts of a girl approaching puberty."
Paragraph 1, page 217 "When the sparks fell down in beards of stars, the smiling children cooed softly."
1. "Above our heads, the fireworks hung dissolving earrings on the night." (par. 4) Can you find other instances of precise or surprising language, or of adventurous imagery?
"Nevertheless, as the slow train nosed back into the thickness of neon, his natural liveliness returned." (p.218 par.6)
"The children lit sparklers under a mouse-colored sky.." (p.219 par.9)
"SOmetimes he seemed to possess a curiously unearthly quality when he perched upon the mattress with his knees drawn up beneath his chin in the attitude of a pixie on a doorknocker." (p.219 par.12)
The expressions that the author uses are very unique and I think the most interesting part of her writing is that she uses these strange phrases but makes it seem ordinary and typical. This strange combination of describing beautiful or eccentric imagery with odd vocabulary but making it seem typical to the writing style gives the writing a fresh and interesting appeal.
Hi everyone,
I am answering question 5.
No I don't think about boredom at all when I read this. I mean it talks about romance and fireworks. None of those are boring to me...I don't know how to elaborate. I hope someone will help me out!
Thanks!
4. Can anyone explain the comparison the narrator makes between Taro and Momotaro, the boy in the folktale who is born from a peach?
The narrator explains that Taro and Momotaro are both mysterious. Like Momotaro, Taro had the “inhuman sweetness of a child born from something other than a mother, a passive, cruel sweetness I did not immediately understand” (page 219). The narrator does not understand why he is being careful and loving since she is accustomed to the code of the superior, in which the man leads the woman. Instead, Taro is sweet and inferior the narrator. Even though he was bored of watching the fire crackers, he stayed for her. Also, she describes him as child-like, in contrast to her size. Momotaro and Taro are both short yet she does not mind. It seems like she does not really care if he was short or not, but as long as he loves her back, it is alright.
Post a Comment