1. Find something humorous about paragraph 1.
2. Stella-Rondo's child, Shirley-T., is adopted, according to Stella-Rondo, not adopted and biological, according to the narrator. Comment.
3. "Papa-Daddy's Mama's papa and sulks." Comment on this sentence, found in paragraph 8.
4. What do we learn about the post office in this reading?
5. What adjectives might you apply to Papa-Daddy?
6. What adjectives might you apply to Stella-Rondo?
7. Find a sentence that you like or find interesting or find important and explain why.
Thursday, May 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
I am responding to number 2 because I am actually quite confused by all of it. It seems the narrator says Shirley-T is Stella-Rondo's child because it looks like Papa-Daddy and Mr. Whitaker. Maybe Stella-Rondo is saying the child is adopted because she regrets having a child with Mr. Whitaker, since from what I get out of it, they separated or had some kind of divorce. If the child looks like Mr. Whitaker she might want to forget that if she is upset with the way things ended there. By saying the child is adopted she could forget where it really came from. I'm not sure if this is completely wrong because honestly, it confuses me. I don't see why the narrator would be saying it was biological if it wasn't other than to tease Stella-Rondo. It seems like the narrator does a fair amount of teasing in the story.
Hey
Pertaining to question #5, or #4 I don't remember, I found many adjectives to describe Papa-Daddy. When he said he had been growing a beard since he was 15 years old, and he must be very old by now, I have found the following adjectives for him. Consistent (keeping his beard and sticking to his word about never shaving it off), strict and forward(when he began yelling at his daughter for something she was thought to have said), cantankerous (his tone is very grouchy throughout the given passages), and unattractive (anyone with a beard that long can be very...beautiful, persay).
Thanks haha
Mason
!.)
In Paragraph one, it's humorous how Stella-Rondo tells Mr. Whitaker that her sister (the narrator) is bigger on one side than the other. This is humorous because they are both adults and Stella-Rondo is acting childish with her sibling tattling.
Hey everyone,
I am going to answer question number 1 tonight. I think that two things are slightly humorous within the first paragraph. As Sarah D. already mentioned about how Stella-Rondo told Mr. Whitaker that she was one sided is obviously the most humorous. I also found that in the text she writes, "Of course I went with Mr. Whitaker first, when he first appeared here in China Grove, taking "Pose Yourself" photos...." I found it slightly humorous how they lived in China Grove. I thought it was rather humorous because they live in Mississippi and while Mississippi has a lot of influence for other cultures, I am pretty sure that there wasn't much influence from China. (I may be completely wrong but that is what I thought). I just found it funny that they would lived in an area called China Grove because in my mind I hadn't pictured the characters as Chinese. Also I found it slightly humorous when the narrator says, " Stella-Rondo is exactly twelve months to the day younger than I am and for that reason she's spoiled." I found it funny because like Sarah mentioned about the other quote, both these sisters seem to act rather childish for their age. They don't seem like they act like adults would and it is also funny how just because she is twelve months younger she is spoiled. I thought it was funny that the narrator made that connection because I don't really feel like age determines if you are spoiled or not. These are my thoughts about the first paragraph and I can't wait to read more.
Adressing to question number 6, an adjective that I would apply to the character, Setlla-Rondo is annoying.
Three words that describe Stella-Rondo:
1. Fickle: "She's always had anything in the world she wanted and then she'd throw it awar. Papa Daddy give her this gorgeous Add-a-Pearl necklace when she was 8 years old and she threw it away playing baseball when she was nine, with only two pearls."
2. Antagonistic: Stella-Rondo says nasty remarks of her sister causing her husband and her sister to break off. She provokes her sister by turning their father agaisnt her, causing the narrator to leave the table.
3. Impulsive: Right after she married Mr. Whitaker, the couple divorced and she went straight back home to get over her marriage. Also, she gets furious over a small comment of Shirley T.
Question one...
I find several parts of the opening paragraph somewhat humerous. First off, Stella-Rondo appears so childish with her jokes about the narrator's unbalanced size. Along with Stella-Rondo acting childish the narrator seems a bit jealous of her childish nature. She acts childish probably because she is spoiled. The narrator says that she is spoiled simply because she is twelve months younger than her. She thinks it is a dumb reason to get off easy but it happens that way.
Hello! This is for prompt #4. We learn a few things about the post office in this section of the story. Firstly, it seems that the narrator works at the post office, but not because she necessarily wants to. She did not get the job on her own accord, and it is obviously not the highest paying or most engaging job available. Papa-Daddy claims to have gotten her the job through his connections, so the narrator seems dependent and unmotivated.
We also learn that it is a very tiny post office. She says it is the second smallest one in Mississippi, and while we don't know if that is actually true or not, we can safely assume that it is not exactly busy all the time. I can imagine it being a pretty lazy and monotonous place, probably run down and in need of a paint job. I would also guess that the town they live in is pretty small, seeing as they don't need a very large post office.
It is referred to as "the bird's nest," which makes it sound cozy and like a safe haven, but for some reason the characters seem to think that that is a derogatory term for it. I guess we'll have to keep reading to hear more about this. :)
Good night!
Hello,
Referring to question five about the three adjectives to describe Papa-Daddy.
1. Stubborn- he doesn't listen to the main character even though she tries to explain to him about how Stella-Rondo is lying about the beard. "I've told him and told him and told him, and he acts like he just don't hear me" (Pg. 125).
2. Temperamental- He gets very defensive when he thinks the narrator is telling him to cut his beard. First he calls her a name and then he proceeds to become defensive about all the things he has done for her, a.k.a, get her a job. "'Hussy!... So the postmistress fails to understand why I don't cut off my beard. Which job I got you though my influence with the government" (Pg. 124). He also passes the main character in the hall and doesn't even regard her because he is still acting up about what she "said" about his beard.
3. Insistent- I think it is humorous that Papa-Daddy insists he is not rich when his daughter insists that she is. Also, the narrator comments that he could go on and on and on about his ideas, in this case, cutting off his beard, and in this way he is insistent, which in his case is very similar to his stubbornness. "He would have gone on till night-fall is Shirley-T hadn't lost the Milky Way she ate in Cairo" (Pg. 125).
Thanks
Hey guys,
I will be adressing question number 1 tonight. I find many things humorous in this first paragraph. First of all i find it funny how the narrator was getting along fine with his family, yet once his spoiled sister came home she tore them apart. Stella-Rondo comes home and you can immediately tell that she is a spoiled brat. She make a childish joke about her sister being one sided. This reminds me a lot of the relationship between my younger cousins. The ironic thing is that stella and her sister are adults.
6. What adjectives might you apply to Stella-Rondo?
Stella-Rondo:
Impulsive
Flippant
Immature
Quarrelsome
Accusing
Of course these adjectives describe Stella-Rondo based on the bias perspective that we get from her sister. Basically, Stella-Rondo is not a pleasant person to be around. She twists things around and outright lies about things. Obviously her husband couldn't stand her, and she is not easy to get along with. She is also stubborn and has been spoiled her whole life.
in response to number 1:
There's a lot of things that I find funny in the first paragraph and in the rest of the reading; the first being the first sentence. The names of the characters alone are comical and eccentric; Papa-Daddy, Uncle Rondo, Stella-Rondo. These names seem so random! Papa-Daddy I could see as a southern hill billy way of saying dad but Rondo and Stella-Rondo just don't fit in with that idea. The names are just so kooky and it's strange that there are two "Rondos". It's as if the family wanted to name their kid after the uncle but it was a girl so they just put it at the end of her name instead of simply calling her Ronda. I also think it adds humor for the first sentence to be about something serious like a divorce or separation and to add in those silly names. It's also one of the only sentences with proper grammar- which I thought was amusing throughout the reading. I really think the author had fun writing this and I was also really puzzeled with the sentence in #2! I read it over and over! It's so weird!
FYI- I wrote this at 9 and my internet didnt let me send it until NOW (and first class didn't work when I tried to sent it there)
Im responding to the last prompt. A sentence that I found interesting is the first sentence in paragraph 2.
"She's always had anything in the world she wanted and then she'd throw it away."
I just like this sentence. FIst off the way the author puts it as the opening to a paragraph. It gives the fallowing sentence tone and in a way we have a preconceived notion before we have examples of Stella-Rondo's character. That is another aspect I enjoy; the way the author makes the narrator try to get us on her side. To see all the faults of Stella and paint her as the victim. But I think that it is ultimately important that we are on the narrators side, or we would probably stop reading.
Hey everyone,
My answer is pertaining to question 2. Actually in all honesty I am really confused on what the question is actually asking. However I will do my best to try and answer it. In my opinion, which is very close to Sarah's, Stella-Rondo could possibly be saying this because of the guilt and regret she has been housing for many years. However, I don't completely comprehend why the narrator would dispute this. If Stella-Rondo had Shirly-T then she would have no reason to lie. On the flip side, if she didn't have Shirly-T then the narrator wouuld have no right to be confrontational. I am honestly just guessing but, nevertheless I thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts on this subject.
Thanks!
Pall
#1
"...When he first appeared here in China Grove, taking "Pose Yourself" photos." I might be wrong because i don't really know, but I get the image of some facebook or myspace junkie taking their own pictures of themselves. Those pictures are the ones that are always from an odd angle, with on arm going straight into the camera. Its just funny to me that someone would pop up in some random place and start taking 'pose yourself' photos. I also find it funny that they call he father 'pappa-daddy.' One name isn't enough? (reminds me of Ricky Bobby)
Post a Comment