Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Yellow Wallpaper pp. 316-321, par. 1-104


1. To what extent is the narrator psychologically unwell? Or can we not tell? What evidence can you cite?

2. Does the narrator's husband, John, seem like a good man or not? Or can we not tell? Wave evidence can you cite?

3. How is this story (so far) different from the other stories we've read so far? What evidence can you cite?

4. What, if anything, is wrong with the narrator's treatment from your own point of view? Explain.

5. Is there anything the narrator should be doing, realistically speaking, that she is not doing now? Why?

6. What do you notice about the room in which the narrator stays and writes? What do you think about whatever it is you notice?

7. Find a sentence worthy of comment, and comment on it.

7.

15 comments:

Shenese said...

1. To what extent is the narrator psychologically unwell? Or can we not tell? What evidence can you cite?

I am going to try to answer question number one. By reading the story "The Yellow Wallpaper" by Charlotte Perkins Gilman, I think that the narrator is psychologically unwell. I say this because in the story I noticed that she gets tired. Every little thing that she do, she gets tired. "I think sometimes that is I were only well enough to write a little it would relieve the press of ideas and rest me. But I find I get pretty tired when I try. (pg. 319) " There is another quote in the book that shows how unwell she is. "I wish I could get well faster. But I must not think about that. This paper looks to me if it knew what a vicious influence it had!" I'm not very sure if I answer the question correctly. But I do know that she is unhealthy...unwell.

DDoll26 said...

Hey everyone,
I am going to try and answer question number 6. I noticed that the narrator concentrates a lot about how the room used to be a playroom for children. The narrator also mentions how it used to be a garden, but it seems as though the narrator is more interested in the fact that it was a playroom previously. The narrator mentions how "the floor is scratched and gouged and splintered." The narrator notices a lot about the condition of the walls and the floor and how the narrator thinks that the children had done it all. I feel as though the narrator is a really observant person and possibly this may have to do something with her illness. I'm not quite sure if that is true, but she seems to notice every little detail, it may just be because she has nothing else to do all day, but I found it rather interesting how the narrator is so observant. It also seems as though the narrator both likes and dislikes the room. I think the narrator mainly dislikes the room because of the wall color and banged up floors, but at the same time I think the narrator likes the space that the room offers. These are my ideas and thoughts, I can't wait to read more! Oh and thanks for the LOVELY singing today in class!

Anonymous said...

Hello,

Regarding question two, I think that it is way to hard to tell if the husband is a good man. Personally, it is really hard to tell if anyone is good or bad. It is hard to tell what good is, or bad. Anyway in the simple meaning of the word good I would say yes and no for this particular character. When the narrator talks about being ill and says the husband swears she is not and only her mind creates the illusion it gives me some insite on his character. I feel in a way he is over confident, doesnt give the narrator a chance to be sick in a way. He might be prejudging her based on his experience with her. It is really hard to tell. Either way, my answer remains as no answer. You cant judge a person's character in five years nevermind five pages of writing.

Megumi said...

1. To what extent is the narrator psychologically unwell? Or can we not tell? What evidence can you cite?

I believe the narrator is unwell to a certain point because she seems be to have a mild nervous depression that causes her to be slightly hysterical. Whenever her husband takes care of her, she is quick enough to believe she is causing her friends and husband a heavy burden. “I did write for a while in spite of them; but it does exhaust me a good deal-having to be sly about it, or else meet with heavy opposition.” (page 316). Also, she tends to quickly change her thoughts and moods. One example is in page 319, where she thinks about socializing after she is cured and then she suddenly switches her attention to the wallpaper. “I wish I could get well faster. But I must not think about that. This paper looks to me as if it knew what a vicious influence it had!” Moreover, as Shenese pointed out, the narrator gets tired very easily. At the end of paragraph 105, she was at an edge to analyze what the grotesque form was until she gave up and took a nap.

Anonymous said...

Hi! My answer pertains to number 6.

I found that the narrator talks about the walls of the room as a sort of optical illusion. This is interesting to me because it adds to the surreal and unusual quality of her existence. Optical illusions are fascinating, and can entertain a wide variety of people. The fact that this woman is seeing these odd patterns and illusions in the wallpaper is what I find important though. Sure, we all study the cracks in the ceiling or texture of paint at some point, but this woman becomes obsessed with it. Studying the wallpaper and its funny way of messing with her eyes is a sort of a drug for her. She says that she was "getting really fond of the room," as a result of studying the wallpaper. I find it odd that as she forms this habit, she begins to feel slightly more at peace and comfortable. I almost get the sense that it is hypnotizing her or putting her into a trance.

It is a very interesting concept, in a psychological sense. I also think this wallpaper will remain a central figure in the story, because of the title.

Thanks! Good night!

Unknown said...

Hey Guys

I will pertain to number 7, I'm in a very exploring kind of mood. Haha. This is a bunch of sentences, but they follow one another and I feel are important to note. "The most beautiful place! it is quite alone, standing well back from the road, quite three miles from the village. It makes me think of English places that you read about, for there are hedges and walls and gates that lock, and lots of seperate houses for the gardeners and people". As I was reading through this story, I'm still not sure as to why this one particular passage stuck out to me, but I will attempt, to the best of my abilities, to describe my feelings towards this particular section. As I was reading and getting a sense of the character(s), I felt very happy and free, if that makes sense. This passage is talking about this beautiful place and how perfect it seems to be and how everything that is present is in place and perfectly allign with the rest of the setting. That is the feeling I've gotten throughout the passages read throughout the given homework. As everything is perfect allign and set, it seems like an introduction to a perfect environment. I look forward to the conclusion of this story and what everyone else has to say!

Goodnight everyone!

Mason

Julia said...

Hello,
Answering question number one,
I think the narrator is psychologically unwell as a result of not experiencing new things and be trapped in a hole, or rather, the house. For example, the narrator quotes on page 316, "Personally, I disagree with their ideas. Personally, I believe that congenial work, with excitement and change, would me me good." Also, note the narrator's multiple references to the outside world and to the things she is not allowed in her sickness. "There is a beautiful shaded lane that runs down there n he house. I always fancy I see people walking in these numerous paths and arbors, but John has cautioned me not to give way to fancy in the least." Here, the narrator is expressing a longing for people on the path and later in the story, it is known this longing is also the longing for her herself to be walking along the path. The narrator is withheld from so many of the things it would seem she wants to do. Walking in the garden, working, and even writing, though she defied her husband in writing. However, even the narrator claims herself that some change and even some work would be good for her. Even though the narrator claims the house and the countryside is beautiful, the narrator is trapped in this house. Her husband refuses she do anything herself and it would seem she can't leave the house and barely leave the room with the wallpaper that she seems to despise but also appreciate at the same time. In a way the narrator seems trapped or jailed by her husband and the restraints he puts on her. By preventing her from change and experience, it almost seems as if it is the husband's fault the narrator has this condition. The narrator claims, "John is a physician, and perhaps- (I would not say it to a living soul, of course, but this is dead paper and a great relief to my mind-) perhaps that is one reason I do not get well faster." I think this quote by the narrator sort of gives it away. It would seem that the narrator's description of her husband is that he is uptight and refuses to believe in anything that cannot be scientifically proven. In this way, it makes sense that the uptight husband would be the cause of the narrator's "condition," or at least the worsening of it. I feel that in a way the husband makes it seem as if the narrator's condition is worse than it is. Yes, she admits she tires easily but the narrator also seems to have the stamina to be writing the story and also defying her husband in doing it. In conclusion, I feel that the narrator has a condition, but her husband is worsening it by trapping her within one place and focusing everything upon it.

Thanks, have a good night.

Miles Burnett said...

This is in response to number 2 but also number 4 (or the one about the treatment..I think it's prompt four)

2. Does the narrator's husband, John, seem like a good man or not? Or can we not tell? Wave evidence can you cite?

John seems like someone who has never experienced depression. He might be a doctor who treats people but that does not mean he understands the pain- he understands the text books, the surface and nothing deeper. He seems like he is presenting himself to her as a "good guy" but he is not one deep down. If she is the sad one why is she being kept in the attic. Why doesn't she get to sleep in the room with the walkout side. This should be about her getting better, but it seems more like a man being a control freak and subjecting his ill wife to intolerable treatment- and then backing it up with a PHD. Not cool.
This is not the treatment she deserves. I think she is tired, and when you are sad and tired why should anyone be telling you what you should be doing. The roles seem off in this story thus far.

Anonymous said...

Answering 1. and 3.

I feel like the narrator is kind of strange. She seems to write in a happy, optimistic tone. She also writes about how nice it is that her husband and his sister are so thoughtful to care for her and she just talks about how "lovely" everything is. She might enjoy her weak state because maybe she likes the attention or helpless position. I see this relating to the talk of children and children's playroom. This story is different from other stories we have read so far because the narrator is talking to her diary/ the reader/ narrating a story straightforward. "There comes John, and I must put this away,--he hates to have me write a word." This quote is an example of how the narrator is speaking toward what feels like the reader. Perhaps the reader takes the role of her confiding diary?

Anonymous said...

4. What, if anything, is wrong with the narrator's treatment from your own point of view? Explain.

Okay. So The narrator has been taken from the real world and the reality of life's struggles. She is stuck in a "bubble" type world where everything is beautiful. She is stuck in circumstances that are unrealistic because she doesn't have to deal with the problems and stresses of the world. She is isolated and doesn't have to work for anything and is given endless time to do nothing, relax, and take in the beauty of this place. This all sounds relatively harmless and actually kind of nice. However, it is made clear that the narrator has a mental illness, and it is obvious that it is the result of an overactive imagination. She is "too smart". Her imagination leads her to unreal images and the inability to be happy with this world. So the treatment that is being attempted to sure her, is not going to be that affective, because it is simply giving her more time to let her mind wander. This eventually will get the best of her and over thinking the meaning of life and the need to resolve every problem (wall paper pattern) will cause her to be more depressed. I feel like she has an overall dissatisfaction with life in general. Taking her away from its struggles and putting her in a vacation like setting will only heighten her perceptiveness to life's flaws. Being too smart and having too big of an imagination is what ultimately leads to depression and mental sickness.

Anonymous said...

Hakuna Matata!
This is answering prompt 6.

I think that all the prompts relate very fully, however prompt 6 most directly addresses the environment in which the narrator is dwelling. Firstly it is interesting that she focuses so intently on the wall paper. I think that this obsession helps to develop the sense of 'craziness' that the husband seems to think is so obviously present. I also think that the fact that she is in a nursery is extremely important. It immediately downgrades her as an individual making her lose considerable maturity.

matt said...

Hey guys,

I will attempt to answer question number 2. So far i find it very difficult to judge whether john is a good or bad man. But with the evidence that has been attained so far i would say that he is a good man. He feels as though his wife having psychological problems, in order to help her. He rents out a mansion for the entire summer. First of all that is a lot of money to spend on a cure. He wants to cure her with a special treatment that requires peace and no work. I think that he is a good man because he is clearly spending a lot of money and wants the best treatment to help his love. Im not to sure what will happen later in the story but only time will tell

Anonymous said...

Pall
#3

So far, and i have the feeling that the rest of the story will be this way as well, the story is written like a journal, and in the present tense. Nothing has really happened, it's all happening. For example, we get the feeling that the story is happening as she is writing it from such quotes as "There's sister on the stairs!" or "There comes John, and i must put this away, -he hates to have me write a word." There is also a lot of description about how the writer is feeling, such as "But I find I get pretty tired when i try" or "I am sitting by the window now, up in this atrocious nursery..." For this story, i find i rather like the whole journal theme, as it gives the reader a better sense of the condition that the writer is in.

Sarah said...

In answering number 1 I feel the narrator is psychologically unwell in a view different ways. I feel that she might be suffering from some sort of depression where nothing really catches her interest and she feels extremely tired all the time. She seems to think that no one understands her or what she needs, at least her husband. I would almost feel sorry for her, but she doesn't seem to put any effort into fighting her illness. I think she feels powerless in many situations and maybe something emotionally stressful or draining has been expressed through her body and it's tiredness. She seems to still have a clear mind and an opinion, she just doesn't seem to be doing much and it doesn't seem like she wants to be.

Anonymous said...

2. Does the narrator's husband, John, seem like a good man or not? Or can we not tell? Wave evidence can you cite?

To me, John seems to be a good man who may be strict and controlling over his wife but only wants the best for her, which is for her to get well. He seems to put her in a place where she doesn't want to be and directs her to sleep more than she wants to. However, it is mentioned that he is a physician so he must know what she needs to get better. He also watches over her carefully, which lets us know that she is important to him. She listens to her husband and she seems to be strong-willed because she does things she's not supposed to (like writing) sometimes so she must respect him. For her to respect him I believe he must take good care of her. Even if he makes her do things she doesn't enjoy he does it for her own good and wants her to get better so for that he is good to his wife and a good man.