
(Don't forget the reading in Mrs. Dalloway, pp. 155-161)
After reading these lines from 1.4 and consulting the notes on the left-hand pages, please find a place where you find the language notable either because of syntax or diction. Your "place" should be no more than a phrase, and could be one word. Quote it, and say what was notable about it. Good luck!
After reading these lines from 1.4 and consulting the notes on the left-hand pages, please find a place where you find the language notable either because of syntax or diction. Your "place" should be no more than a phrase, and could be one word. Quote it, and say what was notable about it. Good luck!
26 comments:
"That's a shelled peascod" (line 205)
The use of the word peascod in and of itself is notable, but also that it is used as a metaphorical description is interesting.
"nuncle, e'er since thou mad'st thy daughters thy mothers." (line 176) The word nuncle is very unique and also the elimination of the vowel in the word maddest to make it fit with the iambic pentameter of the line is common in Shakespeare's work.
"Now thou art an O without a figure" (line 197). It is a very interesting comparison to make, and although it does not seem to make much sense, it is really the Fool degrading King Lear in a way that only he is allowed to, which makes it rather funny, since no one else is allowed to be that bluntly honest.
"And know not how their wits to wear, Their manners are so apish." (172-173)
The way the first part of the sentence is structured is backwards from how we would usually say it. (don't know how to wear their wits) And the word apish mean foolish and imitative.
checking in
"they'll have me whipped for speaking ture, thou'lt have me whipped for lying, and sometimes i am whipped for holding my peace. I had rather be any kind o' thing than a fool and yet i would not be thee, nuncle" (fool, 186). I find this passage, as most said by the Fool are, very effective and strong in getting a simple point across. The fool endlessly lists the downsides of not being able to "win" as being the fool, and then contrasts it with being the King. He could just say "i wouldn't want to be YOU," but instead, he makes the King seem lower than the lowest.
"Nor the redresses sleep" (line 215). It's notable first of all that "redresses" means "remedies", but also I thought it was interesting that Shakespeare used the word "sleep" as something that a remedy would do. So it becomes metaphoric.
checking in!
"For wise men are grown foppish" [line 171]
I find it strange how Shakespeare uses the word "grown" together with the word "foppish" because the definition of foppish is "resembling or befitting of a fop" and a fop is defined as "a man who is excessively vain and concerned about his dress"; as opposed to "are" or something that sounds more suitable. Those two put together just sounds weird.
"Then they for sudden joy did weep,/and I for sorrow sung,/That such a king should play bo-peep/And go the fools among." (1:4:179-182)
The use of "bo-peep" is "to act like a child" which I find interesting, partially because "bo-peep" refers to a nursey rhyme and that the fool is making fun of the king in an entertaining way (by singing) which is ironic if you think about how the fool's job is to entertain the king and in entertaining him, he is poking fun at him as well.
checking in!
checking in
My quote:
"When thou clovest thy crown i' the middle and gavest away both parts, thou borest thine ass on thy back o'er the dirt."
This is an example of Shakespeare's syntax due, in part, to the old fashioned language: "gavest away" and "thou." Additionally, it is Shakespearian syntax because some syllables are suppressed and others are elongated in order to fit the iambic pentameter: "o'er" and "i'". What I really love about this quote is its cleverness -- the pun about the "golden crown" of King Lear, symbolized by the power he gave his daughters, and the actual crown of his head, which the fool describes as being all he has left, and being worth nothing because he is an idiot. I love the idea of Lear carrying his donkey on his back instead of his donkey carrying him. This is a really cutting remark on the part of the fool, and shows how capable Shakespeare is of using language even in the confines of measure.
"A bitter fool!" (1.4.140)
I found the fact that Shakespeare used "bitter" to describe the Fool was notable because the denotation bitter in Shakespearian language is "harsh and cutting" whereas the connotation nowadays is that someone is holding onto something they are still angry about. It is interesting how much this makes what Lear is saying change, for what he is saying is that the Fool was being a little bit rude or going "too far," more saying that his remarks are bitter feeling almost like a bitter herb.
LEAR "When were you wont to be so full of songs sirrah?" (Line 174-175)
Shakespeare's diction in this line in particular is interesting. When I found that this meant 'So, when did you start to enjoy singing?', I was a little baffled because I wasn't exactly sure what the function of "wont" is. The placement of the word "wont" next to the other words seems to be a clever choice on Shakespeare's part.
"Thou wast a pretty fellow when thou hadst no need to care for her frowning. Now thou art an O/without a figure."
I found the word pretty to be interesting, considering fellows are usually handsome, and it is saying in such a different way that he was cuter, or better tempered, or something, than when he didn't have to care about his daughter. An interesting, yet effective way to put that.
"Methinks you are too much of late in the frown" (line 195)
I find this line satisfying. Rather than just saying, "I think you've been frowning too much lately," Shakespeare phrases it the way he does to fit the meter and to use interesting syntax. Also, with regards to what was said about each of Shakespeare's important characters having a different way of speaking, I assume it contributes to the unique diction choices Shakespeare uses for Lear alone. In general, it's nice and Shakespeare-ish.
"That such a king should play bo-peep." line 180,
Bo-peep on the page 52 means a child's game. The word bo-peep is very powerful when used in the sentence. The words king, play, and bo-peep, are a very odd combination. And using the word such, instead of a, makes the king a specific king, such as King Lear. By using the words such, king, play, bo-peep, the fool is stating his respect for the king but at the same time he is making fun and even shunning the king. With such, it is as if the fool is saying that such a powerful and great king. But then the fool is criticizing the king's low character by finishing the sentence with should play bo-peep implying should play a child's game. The fool is referring to the king's selfish and rash behavior when he disowned his favorite daughter Cordelia because she would not profess her love to the king.
"The hedge-sparrow fed the cuckoo so long/ That it's had it head bit off by it young." ( 221-222)
I found this "short story" (if you could even call it that) within this scene very interesting. It was definitely demonstrative of what was going on, and perhaps it is foreshadowing someone's downfall?
Checking in.
I am quite intrigued by Laurel's rather comical quote.
checkin in
interesting point rosie!
checking in
checking in
checking in
FOOL "I marvel what kin you and your daughters are. They'll have me whipped for speaking true, thou'lt have me whipped for lying, and sometimes I am whipped for holding my peace. I had rather be an kind o' thing than a Fool. And yet I would not be thee nuncle"
I think these lines from the Fool after he sings of joy, sorrow, and bo-peed, are very ironic. I agree with what has been already said with the fact that the Fool entertains Lear by making fun of him and his situation (which is obvious). Sometimes Lear takes this whole heartedly while at other times he is very upset by his remarks. The Fool cannot always tell when his remarks might go to far, and for that he ends up being whipped.
As the reader, although Shakespeare's plays were not meant to be read, but lived and acted, it is refreshing to see this sort of desperation that these lines give. Although the Fool in not directly standing up to the king and confronting him about his (and his daughters) hypocrisy, he seems to be at a loss. He is whipped when he lies AND when he tells the truth, and sometimes he is even whipped for staying silent and not getting involved.
He is asking the king, "What am I supposed to say, your daughters don't like it when I tell the truth, and you don't like it when I lie and neither of you like it when I say nothing. If that's the case, what can I say without getting whipped?"
-Checking in-
Post a Comment