
1. Find a moment in the story at which you think language is being used effectively, quote it, and briefly say why. Diction (word choice)? Syntax (word order)? Sound? Irony? Something else?
OR
2. Is there a moment in the story that seems particularly realistic to you? Briefly explain.
OR
3. Is there anything so far about the story that makes it seem a little different from other stories you have read? Briefly explain.
OR
4. Name an adjective that could be used to describe the main character, Francis
Weed.
OR
5. Notice something that no one else has noticed yet about this reading.
26 comments:
Hey everyone, this is Ashleigh Chuang!
There is a part in this story where it seems really realistic for me. In the story the author describes Francis Weed homecoming after he experienced this horrible plane crash. In the scene he is trying to tell his young children about the story and they start to argue, and before you know it everyone is crying. This part of the story seems very realistic to me, because when I was younger my sister and I would always start arguing while our dad was talking to us, he would have to break us apart and sooner or later both of us would be crying in our rooms, and my dad would have to come up and apologize. It's very similar to what happens in this part of the story and therefore, is very realistic to me.
In response to question #4
If I were to give Francis an adjective, I would have to say he is very positive. I say this for a variety of reasons. "The man in the seat behind him pulled a flask out of his pocket and took a drink. Francis smiled at his neighbor, but the man looked away; he wasn't sharing his pain killer with anyone" (Pg. 62). I really admire Francis for this action because kindness and a positive attitude will always go far and he clearly understands this. Even though the storm outside of the plane is raging and getting progressively worse, he manages to crack a smile and give someone else a sense of hope, whether or not the other individual accepts it or not. He didn't let the man's negative attitude affect him, which is why I admire Francis for his positive attitude. Another reason why Francis is a positive person, as a whole, is because when he when he went home and none of his family seemed interested in his crash, he didn't let it affect him, by showing rage or sadness. This shows a strong personality and being, as a whole.
Hi everybody! This is Ashlie Dunlap and there was one moment in the story that I found very realistic. It happened toward the very beginning when Francis was descirbing the environment that he was surrounded by in the plane. I have traveled very much in the past and espcially when I was younger, whenever we would enter a cloud or a bout of turbulence I would become very frightened. His emotions and observations were something that I feel would be experinced in a moment of panic. There was amazing imagery within the peice thus far which helped the reality ring true. For example when he begins sharing parts of conversation between a mother and her children. I feel as though in time of terror poeple notice and remember the simpilar things in life.
Aloha...it's Kelsey Dobyns! I found two contrasting parts of this story that were very realistic to me. When Francis Weed was describing the weather outside while he was on the plane I felt like I was on the ride with him because he was so detailed in his explanation. By stating, "they flew into a white cloud of such density that it reflected the exhaust fires. The color of the cloud darkened to gray, and the plane began to rock. The air in the cabin was overheated and stale." As I was reading this I was very interested in seeing what would come next. I felt nervous and worried for the people on the plane and I thought that they were going to die. These feelings were described in such detail which is why I started to feel how the people on the plane would have...anxious and scared especially when he described, "the exhaust fires blazed and shed sparks in the dark, and, inside, the shaded lights, the stuffiness" that phrases really raised the stakes for me and I just thought there was no hope for the passengers!
The next section that was realistic for me was when the Weeds' living room was being described. He states,"..the long table, laid for six, with candles and a bowl of fresh fruit in the center. The sounds and smells that came from the open kitchen door were appetizing, for Julia Weed was a good cook. The room was polished and tranquil, and from the windows that opened to the west there was some late-summer sunlight, brilliant and as clear as water." I felt like I was sitting in the living room smelling the fresh home cooking. Reading this passage made me feel like I was home again and I was excited about picturing this colonial house filled with joy. When I read it I was picturing someone setting up a meal similar to Thanksgiving where everyone comes together to celebrate being a family. Very few texts can paint such a vivid picture in my mind as clearly as "The Country Husband."
Hey it's Ashleigh again. I'm just checking in. I hope I'm doing this right.
I thoroughly agree with Kelsey on her latter point. I too felt as though I was in the Weed's house sitting down to dinner with them.
-Checking in
Hey all, this is Julia O..
Addressing the first prompt, I believe that the author uses very effective language on page 63 when he writes, "she paints with lightning strokes that panorama of drudgery in which her youth, her beauty, and her wit have been lost." Although I don't claim to be very knowledgeable about marriage, I feel that perhaps in today's world this feeling of loss in a relationship is common, and could also be very realistic in a long-term relationship. Also, the author paints a beautiful picture with the words "lightning" and "panorama," where he relates Julia's feelings and reactions (perhaps a little irrational) to lightning. I sort of answered two prompts.. my apologies..
Francis wants sympathy from his family. I've already read this story last year and analyzed it a lot, so I'll let other people write stuff since I'm afraid I'll give something away?
Hi, this is Sarah Whitney.
In general I agree with what people have said.
What seems especially realistic to me is the fact that it is almost as if Francis Weed had two completely different types of days that were combined into one.
He just had this terribly frightning and emotional experience of the plane crash and he then abruptly enters a world that is quite causal emotionally, in comparison. Not that his children crying and hiting wasn't emotional.
I relate to this in that things can happen that are huge and emotionally devestating in one part of your life. Then when you return to your normal way of life, its difficult to share what has just happened or people are too caught up in what they are doing. I'm not sure that Francis Weed necessarily felt this way, but if I was in his place, I think thats how I might feel.
Hi! This is Kacie! I have chosen to write a bit about the structure of "The Country Husband," so you could say that I am replying to the first prompt.
I was definitely struck by the way John Cheever composed his sentences, especially towards the end of the section. I found the last two paragraphs (from pages 64-65) interesting to read because nearly every sentence began with the name of a character or a pronoun, and the sentences were often short and a bit choppy sounding. When reading this, I felt a sense of chaos and disruption, not only because the scene he was describing was evidently chaotic, but because the way in which it was written was chaotic as well. For example, Cheever writes:
"Francis says that she will spoil him. Julia says that Toby is ten pounds underweight and has to be encouraged to eat. Winter is coming, and he will spend the cold months in bed unless he has his dinner. Julia goes upstairs. Francis sits down at the table with Helen. Helen is suffering from the dismal feeling of having read too intently on a fine day..."
He continues this way for much of the text. By bouncing between characters, he gives the reader the sense of a fast paced and slightly confusing atmosphere which, along with his word choice, allows the reader to imagine a specific and accurate portrayal of this scene. The structure also allowed me to sense a bit of dysfunction within the Weed family through the use of shorter sentences without clauses or extraneous information. Interestingly, I also felt a sense of detachment while reading this excerpt. The sentences are purely factual and made me feel as if I was watching the family through a window- as if I was trespassing into their lives. Some points of the story almost resembled a documentary of sorts and that is not typical in a creative, fictional short story.
Finally, I was very impressed by Cheever's ability to keep me intrigued in the story even though he did not use an incredibly varied sentence structure. We are all taught in middle school to write with long, interesting, and flowing sentences, yet Cheever describes a captivating scene by doing the exact opposite. That, I believe, shows that he is a talented writer. I have enjoyed this story so far.
There is a moment in the story that seems realistic to me. Do you guys remember the plane crash in the Hudson River, Manhatten New York? Well they all survived on that plane crash. In the story, Francis Weed also experienced a plane crash. He survived along with others on the plane.
Hey, It's Mason. Just checking in and scanning comments.
An adjective that describe Francis Weed that I thought of was distraught. I say this because of the author writes "Francis says that he must be understood; he was nearly killed in an airplane crash, and he doesn't like to come home everynight to a battlefield."(Pg. 65 ch.1/plot) Francis just wanted to tell his family about what happened to him in the plane crash, but none of them were listening. They were busy arguing and crying. He seemed really annoyed by them...
Nothing further to say, checking in.
There is a moment in the story that does seems particularly realistic to me. When Francis returned from the plane crash, he expected to be sympathized and comforted with hugs and kisses; however, he was welcomed with a cold silence of his children's antagonism towards each other. This reminded of the time when my mother and I bickered over a small thing. When my father came home from work, he saw us ignoring each other and demanded what was wrong. Unlike Francis, my father did not had a bad day and forced us to listen to him, but he did wanted wanted us to forget what just happened and have a peaceful dinner. This is Megumi by the way and I am checking in.
hello! checking in.
and by the way, I agree with Megumi, as well as Ashleigh earlier when they described personal stories similar to Francis'. I think we can all connect to him in that way.
I don't really have anything else to say. Just checking in.
Hakuna Matata!
So, this is Eric Ibarra. Unfortunately, I do expect that I am the last person to comment tonight.My sincerest apologizes Mr. Durning. Moving on however, I'm going to respond to Question 1.
The combination of John Cheever's diction and syntax create an unique style of writing. The analytical and comprehensively detailed paragraphs dissect the piece much more scientifically than paragraphs which might be found in more fantasy based stories.
By creating a particularly detailed paragraph the author is able to do a number of things. Firstly he is able to accurately and rigidly describe the setting, atmosphere or actions occurring within the story's world. However this can established in numerous other ways which are perhaps even more effective. The second reason is therefore much more plausible as to why he developed such an in depth rigid writing style.
By creating a slightly sterile and much more detailed world the author is able to develop his character of Francis Weed. Despite being involved in a plane crash the sentences are relatively simple and lend little support to creating a huge spectacle in which the reader finds him/herself personally evolved in. This perhaps shows Francis' own state of mind during the incident.
Okay thats all I've got in my mind. Hope you enjoy.
In response to prompt #5
While reading this story I am taken back by the lack of attention and interest that Francis' family has in the plane crash. It seems like this is an everyday event for them, and treat it no differently than any other situation. I feel as if the plane crash matters less to them than a child with a splinter.
While exploring this absurdity, I begin to wonder; who is most important in the household? In paragraph five of page 63 "Nine times out of ten, Francis would be greeted with affection, but tonight the children are absorbed in their own antagonisms" I question, why this neglect on a night when the assumed/ typical reaction should be that of relief, attention, and care?
When reading paragraph one of page 65, I understood that the family was not treating this as an everyday event, and it wasn't a question of who is most important; this was a lack of comprehension. "She doesn't understand about the plane crash, because there wasn't a drop of rain in Shady Hill." I find this to be not just a brilliant justification for the family's response (or lack there of), but a profound comment on human life. This is an example of one not possessing the ability to grasp the effects and depth of a situation if they have not truly experienced it first hand.
Brendan,
After the frightening crash Francis Weed tells the story in his own words to his family. The family does not react in a fictional loving manner. The story causes an argument followed by crying and yelling. Despite the life threatening experience the family does not react in sympathy or happiness for his survival. I see this as a realistic event due to the surprising attitude of the others. People in the world never react the way it seems. When the father thinks his children will react a certain way he is mistaken.
I read all of yours, it seems everyone has blogged so far so im not coming back
Hi guys it's Catie.
question #5
I've read a lot of responses saying that the scene in which Francis arrives home to his beautiful spacious house, the smells and sounds of delicious food being cooked, and his children wining and fighting is quite typical and simulates a realistic situation. I believe this is pretty normal up until the author describes Francis as he calmly puts down his paper and takes off his hat, not even finishing his sentence that he had just been in a plane crash. He seems to be too calm for some one who just survived a traumatic disaster and just the way that he begins to tell them seems off. He says, "Hi, everybody," which seems like a relaxed and pleasant greeting. He isn't in a rush to tell his family but it doesn't seem like he's afraid to tell them either because immediately after he says hi, he tries to explain what had happened.
I just realized I didn't cite the text! My quotes were from page 64.
I'm just checking in- I think I'm the last one so I'm not waiting very long.
But I still don't have much of an understanding of Francis Weed and how the crash effected him. I question why he reacted the way he did and acted so calm around his family. Many of you have good points though.
okay team, here we go!
. Find a moment in the story at which you think language is being used effectively, quote it, and briefly say why. Diction (word choice)? Syntax (word order)? Sound? Irony? Something else?
• “Julias guns are loaded for this”
o I think this phrase by the auther is just so direct because it really shows a sense of power that the wife holds in this story. It’s almost as if she was waiting for something to set her off, so she could release her inner emotions she potentially could be hiding.
• “All but the children saw in their minds the spreading wings of the Angel of Death”.
o I think this sentence is just so mind boggling. It gives me chills whenever I read it. When I thinks of an angel I think of a being guided to a greater world also known as heaven. And when I think of death, although there are many upsides to death, I think of it as a dark place. And when I hear the world children I think inosense. Reading that children are looking up to a figure of hope that is now darkened really puts a spin on the situation which can make the reader think that plain is going to have a tragic ending.
• * “Just then, Julia Weed comes into that part of the room where the table is laid. She is pretty, intelligent woman, and the white in her hair is premature. She does not seem to notice the fracas. “Hello, darling,” she says serenely to Francis. “Wash your hands, everyone. Dinner is ready.” She strikes a match and lights the six candles in this vale of tears.”
o I think the text of this just displays the wife and her efforts to the family in the most elegant way. Even though the house is an utter disaster she still tries to make the best of everything. I can relate to this because iknow when I was little and the house was an utter mess, my mom would still try to make it as elegent and radiant with love as she could.
2. Is there a moment in the story that seems particularly realistic to you? Briefly explain.
• “Francis has been in heavy weather before, but he had never been shaken up so much. The man in the seat beside him pulled a flask out of his pocket and took a drink”.
o This quote is from the part of the story before the plain went down. Everyone is in a state of panic, holding on for dear life, singing their last thoughts for some, and then you have gentleman taking a last drink. I find this to have some humor in it that is rather ironic. I can relate to this because whenever in life there is a really serious or intense sitauation, I try to find a lighter way out of it. I try to look for some sort of a more posative, humoerous way out of things. Like if I have a bad ballet class or a bad theater class I will just say to myself, “Well today was a miss, and it’s just no”. And then I can just chuckle to myself, but it just kinda numbs the pain, it doesn’t make it “go away”. I still have to live in the situation. I feel that the gentlemen sitting next to Francis was using the alchol as a way to numb the pain and the intensity of the situation. The alcholal is not going to save him, it’s going to just be a mind game for him and just take him out of it and not have to cope with whats actually happeneing. I related to this because who does cope with ALL there problems? I laugh at myself, and this gentleman drinks himself silly. “The pilot could be heard singing faintly, “I’ve got sixpence, jolly, holly, sixpence. I’ve got sixpence to last me all my life. . . “ There was no other sound.” This is another way of coping with a situation. Lot’s of times when life is shitty and everything is just no, I usually go sing till my voice is gone. It’s very calming, theropuduic, and a way, like the alchohal and laughing at myself, to cope with things.
• “There isn’t a girl in Helen’s class who doesn’t read True Romance.”
o This is just like when people start to buy clothes from one store. It’s like, “Did you get that sweater from Rugby? i want that sweater from Rugby! Oh my God everyone shops at Rugby so I have to too.”
3. Is there anything so far about the story that makes it seem a little different from other stories you have read? Briefly explain.
• “Francis says that he must be understood; he was nearly killed in an airplane crash, and he doesn’t like to come home every night to a battlefield.”
o This quote is rather shocking to me because if one were to put themselves in the situation of being in a plain crash, it is rather terrifying and horrific. Having gone through that, the only thing that I would want to do is to come home and just have my family’s love. But to come home to a “battlefield”, and not have the support of your family ASAP, it must be a little hard. This seems odd to me and in other stories I have read I have seen other results when people are in need in a time of crisis. “Nine times out of ten, Francis would be greeted with affection, but tonight the children are absorbed in their own antagonisms.” This just displays that even though they greet him with affection, it is still a battlefield.
Those were my thoughts :)
I would describe Francis as a realistic person because of his attitude toward every conversation he has. Also the story tells us how Francis is already up to his plans. He is very straightforward and to the point. He does not wonder or struggle easily. Overal,
Francis is a man with honesty and morality.
Post a Comment